Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonflytx_gw

Concern with Maryigold seedings

DragonFlyTx
10 years ago

I started my marigold seeding in little Toilet paper rolls. I have sifted the dirt from my garden in different areas a little bit of homemade compost. All my little pods seem to be doing okay but this one. I am concern with the leaves in this one I circled it with a green circle. Could anyone tell me if this looks sickly or normal. TO me not normal because I am a little concern. Is it too crowded ? I would like to plant them in the garden but we just had another cold snap today. I live in Texas zone 8a. 54 degrees, 33 at night. I think the night ground is still too cold. I take my seedlings outside during the day and bring them in at night.

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

outside in full sun???

some type of damage that i would attribute to water management ...

dirt doesnt make an easy potting media ... and causes all kinds of water management issues ..

e.g.: there is no way for you to say.. with any certainty.. that inside this pot ... the center of the wad of dirt had any moisture in it ... or did so.. on the day the damage occurred.. which was probably a few days before you noticed it ...

when you use a consistent media.. you can be much more certain.. that .. across all your pots.. water will flow thru it ... as you expect ..

the future is all in the buds down between those seed leaves... and i cant focus on them in this pic ..

water properly.. and hope for the best ...

this is also why you sow a few extra pots... you really didnt think you would hit 100% success did you??? ...

i would not be taking them outside for transplant.. until the 3rd or 4 set of true leaves ... these are way to young to go in the garden .. no matter the weather... they have no root mass to support growing in full sun ... and if i set them outside for some fresh air.. it would be in full .. bright.. shade ...

another way to say it.. would be that they dont go outside.. until the roots are escaping out the drain holes.. presuming you have such???

good luck

ken

• DragonFlyTx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well there is a small part of me that does want to be down right perfect! There is that voice or reasoning that says you know better. I am always bum when one of my babies don't make it. Then again I was impatient I could gave them a better home soil wise but a little short on money lately.

• bugbite
    10 years ago

Just curious, what variety are these?
    You will get some seedlings that don't do well and will not live (genetic differences). The other two look good. Don't over water. I usually water once or twice daily lightly while outside and they dry somewhat between watering. Kinda of a dry/ wet rotation like in nature. Mine would get morning sun. I try not to overcrowd the seedlings for one reason... When I transplant, don't want to rip the roots apart. Minimize stress when transplanting. Pick the best out of the cell you are showing and sip the other two.
    Make sure your soil drains.
    The most important thing about growing marigolds, for me, was to pre-fertilize the soil that they will be moved to.
    Learned everything I know from the site in the link below. I don't follow their commercial methods exactly, but learn from them. We trialed some of their amazing marigolds. Some varieties are available from Geoseed.
    Tip: Use tomato cages to keep them up, especially with massive blooms.
    Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Marigolds

This post was edited by bugbite on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 12:00

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

lol .... on being perfect ...

gardening is not really a place where that mindset will work well ...

but do try ... with a sense of humor and a sure footing in reality .;..

ken

ps: and any gardener who tells you it all worked out perfectly.. to a perfectly dreamt up plan.. is a baldfaced liar... lol ...

pps: and never forget.. every failure was a planned experiment ... lol.. that way you never lose... lol

• Donna
    10 years ago

I like to start marigolds in pots too. You might be a wee bit early starting them, but then again, maybe not depending on where in Texas you are. Either way, your plants will do better if you will re-pot them, one plant to one pot, after these little seedlings get another set or two of leaves. (The true, frilly marigold leaves.) You want to wait to put them outside until the night low temps are 55 or warmer. Warmer is better. Honest. You'll be amazed at how much faster they grow once they each have their own space. Don't forget to harden them off before you set them outside.

And, I would suggest that you only water the plants when they are nearly dry, especially for as long as you have them inside. Over watering causes just as many problems as under watering.