Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Color question

mxk3 z5b_MI
11 years ago

What color flower would you put in an aqua-colored flower pot? I'm stumped. I've tried white and it was way too blah.

Not an easy pot to work with...

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

who still uses aqua.. lol ... pale teal??? .. though i still prefer turquoise ... lol ...

the trick to making color 'pop' .. is to find a color wheel ... and choose the OPPOSITE color .. on the color wheel ...

so.. at the link.. find your color.. and opt for the opposite ... so something in the orange/pink range, leaning toward pink ... which i might call.. a salmon ????[which i happened to know offhand ... God knows why .. lol .]

... perhaps a begonia???? .. impatiens???

and it should.. knock your socks off ....

the reason is that opposite colors ENHANCE each other.. especially at dusk ... when light diffuses ... but also in shade ...

ken

PS: get this.. if you put your hand.. in front of a blue surface.. and stare at it long enough.. when you move your hand away.. the shadow in your eye.. the remnant of the hand.. will be orange ... go figure ... the color opposite to what you were staring at .. [where in the heck did i learn this stuff????]

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: the round one is a wheel ... lol ..

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting the color wheel - it reminded me that last fall I put in a vibrant deep pink mum with yellow centers in that pot...now THAT knocked my socks off! So I think I'll put a vibrant deep pink annual in there, maybe a New Guinea impatiens (should be easy to find the color I'm looking for in the NG).

BTW: I got the pot at a pottery show a couple years ago, it is hand-made and I really like it a lot, it's just not an easy color to work with.

11 years ago

sounds expensive .... i would treasure it..

and to do so .. i would take it to the plastic pot seller ... and buy a plastic pot to put inside it ... 'pot-in-pot' .... and never really ruin it with media ...

and of course.. in MI ... in fall i would take the plastic pot out.. and store this in the garage or basement ... or repot with a houseplant for winter ...

expanding ice has a way of exploding pottery ... but only the treasured ones ... lol ....

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

It sounds gorgeous! If that were my pot, there is NO question that I would use something in the orangy family. There are some bright orange NGs.

Will you post pictures after planting? I'd like to see that pot! I have a good sized hand thrown pot in a yummy celadon type green. I've found it surprisingly difficult to find color combinations that I'm crazy over. My pot is large enough for an assortment of plants....what about yours?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken --> Remember who you're talking to...I've been at this a long time :0) My "good" pottery is sitting in the crawl space, patiently waiting to be brought out. (the cheap stuff is in the garage lol!) And yes I slip plastic pots inside, even in my clay pottery or I line with garbage bags cut to fit with the bottom taken out (because as you know I HATE watering and clay dries out at the drop of a hat, so the plastic holds the moisture)

Re: Celadon pot: I have some glazed hand-painted pottery that is that brightish yellow-green (would you consider that close to celadon?). Last year I put in a soft lilac-colored violet and wow! I loved it! The pot also had some royal blue and deeper green in the painted design so it wasn't straight-up yellow-green, and the lilac color and deep green foliage played right off that.

11 years ago

i always remember who you are.. but i always presume.. others of lesser knowledge are reading us ... hence the reminders ...

did you ever realize... more in the olden days.. a lot of sports teams use the color trick ... the dark and the light color being polar opposites on the color wheel ... go figure ...

which brings me to the minnesota viking.. and their old yellow/purple colors ....

and in your planting ..... and lilac is purple.. and brightish yellow-green is yellow.. and bingo bango.. your planting fits the theory ...

go figure ...

regards to sissy ....

ken

ps: and what.. no comment on me saying the round one was a wheel ... lol ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

11 years ago

Mxk, celadon has some gray in it...sort of lichen -like. It's not at all bright. If you google images for celadon you'll see some great examples.

I'll be using some white bacopa, a bright orange NG impatiens, and some purple or blue statice for this year's planting. I hope I like it.

11 years ago

Mxk, celadon has some gray in it...sort of lichen -like. It's not at all bright. If you google images for celadon you'll see some great examples.

I'll be using some white bacopa, a bright orange NG impatiens, and some purple or blue statice for this year's planting. I hope I like it.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooops, I guess I was thinking it was more of a celery green or spring green...