Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnflowerlover

Trimming common begonia?

I live in NC in zone 7b. This begonia is on my parents' covered porch (same area) and has done pretty well through the winter. It is 10-12 inches tall. Can I prune it any? If so, how much/how/when? Thx!

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

at every leaf connection.. a node.. if you look close.. you should see a very tiny bud ...

if so.. cut just above such.. and that node will trigger ...

with a razor blade.. you can cut each piece above.. that you cut off.. and stick it in moist potting media.. and put it in a plastic bag.. and make as many hundred of the plant as you want ...

you could probably cut that back to about 2 inches ... with little fear ...

but to learn.. i suggest you take one big piece off.. give it a week.. and see if you can see the bud enlarging.. and once you do.. you can do the rest ... with little fear you kill the whole thing..

no one says you have to prune to whole.. at one fell swoop.. cut and learn ...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

You've got one of the easiest of the begonias to take care of...Begonia semperflorens-cultorum. You can safely snip these plants pretty much as low as you want.

Please wait a few weeks for the fastest response from your plant and snip away with a pair of clean, sharp scissors. Don't be hesitant....your goal is to create a fuller, shaplier plant. You could even cut this plant neary to the base and let it regrow all new growth as ken suggests.

Again, wait until the days are longer; provide the plant with a dose of fertilizer. Both will make sure that the plant bursts into new growth rapidly.

You might tell your parents that frequent pinching will help keep the plant fat and happy.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

You can pinch it back just about as far as you want to. Landscapers use chain saws on it and it bounces right back.

11 years ago

eham..

i want to see a begonia that needs a chainsaw.. they do NOT grow that big in MI ...

ken

11 years ago

I suspect that eahamel means power hedgers, not chainsaws. 'Cause they sure don't grow that big period!

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Probably a power hedger! They don't get that large, but that's how large beds of them are pruned. Same with the vinca major and grape ivy that are used for a ground cover.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Awesome help, thx! I wish we could get them that big here in NC! I do love how easy to take care of they are. :)

11 years ago

i found that any kind of snippers.. crushed the stems too much .. for rooting purposes ...

a new blade will slice thru like butter ...

ken

11 years ago

Ken, good sharp snips or scissors cut cleanly. I understand your concern about smushing the stems....that is very valid. But the right tools do the job perfectly well. I have some little plant snips so sharp that they can cut paper on one of the blades.

I've seen people use a dull knife or kitchen scissors or even their fingers to prepare cuttings!

11 years ago

yes rhiz.. on this plant ... there is no wrong way ...

and i presumed.. you as a highly trained professional.. have the right tool ...

but .. on this plant as a matter of fact.. i recall back in the 60's when i was a kid ... and dad had his 15 year old montgomery wards, dull as a bowling ball anvil shears .... [probably from me using them to cut wire.. lol] .... they didnt really cut anything.. it was more of a squish and tear method ... lol...

ahhh.. memories.. lol

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

The stems on this plant will likely snap when bent. That's how I prefer to do it. I've noticed that the ones that don't snap usually don't propagate either.

That's a great looking plant. You mentioned that you don't live where the plant does, so may not get there often enough to do this, but I'm sure your folks can handle it if they like the idea. If it was mine, I would trim the 2 tallest pieces first (down to the lowest leaf, or about 2" if there are no lower leaves.) Then trim another one or two in a couple weeks, doing it gradually, continually, so it never looks vastly different but is regularly being encouraged to be more branched and bushy. That way you're also not removing all of the flowers at any time. The pieces you remove can be stuck back in the pot, or in other places/pots.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, purple! I am next door, so I can take the time to do it that way. It was a clearance begonia, but dad has taken great care of it!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Glad you like the idea, that's how I "do" mine. How "everybody loves Raymond" is your housing situation?! LOL! Tell Dad to keep up the great work!