Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nana8_gw

Vinca Jams n Jellies

nana8
12 years ago

Does anyone have any experience growing this particular kind of Vinca? Is it the same as the regular annual Vinca? I just received 100 seeds today and it sounds like I am late getting out of the gate already. Oh well, better late than never.

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Yes, your 'Jams and Jellies Blackberry' vinca is Catharanthus roseus, commonly known as annual vinca. It's just a new color variety.

Why do you say it's late? I assume that you will be starting these inside.

• nana8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I say it is late because annual vinca usually takes me about 13 weeks to get a decent size plug.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

I was debating ordering seeds for the Jams-n-Jellies but decided against because I couldn't think of where I put them, I wasn't sure what to do with the unusual color.

I was at the nursery last week and saw them blooming next to pure white vinca --> W-O-W!!! They also looked great next to that flaming hot pink vinca with the white eye.

I bought a couple 4-packs of the J&J and white vinca to combine with, I have a pot this will look fantastic in.

So, yea -- unusual color but I ended up really liking it one I saw it. :0)

• idloveamocha
    10 years ago

I started these from seed in early February under grow lights and constantly on a heat mat.
    I've been very disappointed in the growth rate. It is now week 17 since sowing, and the plants are 2" tall maximum. Last weekend I decided to just put them in the garden and see. They were in 3" pots that are about 4" deep. The roots were extremely shallow.

I've never had such a poor result from anything that I've started from seed.

I ended up supplementing them with jams n jellies that I found at my local garden center. The pack had the bright magenta and white mixed in as well, so they look wonderful!
    They are beautiful. However, I'll never grow them from seed again.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Yea, vinca can be a little touchy - I grow them every year from seed and some years they are fantastic and other years they don't do too well. I think maybe sometimes I provide just a bit too much moisture - but it can be hard to walk that fine line at times because don't ever want seedlings to dry out yet vinca is quite touchy about too much moisture. Oh well. At least we found them locally and can enjoy them that way :0)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Yea, vinca can be a little touchy - I grow them every year from seed and some years they are fantastic and other years they don't do too well. I think maybe sometimes I provide just a bit too much moisture - but it can be hard to walk that fine line at times because don't ever want seedlings to dry out yet vinca is quite touchy about too much moisture. Oh well. At least we found them locally and can enjoy them that way :0)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Uh, well....I'm going to have temper my rave. They are fantastic combined with white, but trying to place them in the garden is tricky. They don't show up well from a distance, and they don't look good in certain pots to my eye. Also not easy to combine with other plant colors in the vicinity. So...just not an easy color to work with in general IMO.