Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sowing Morning Glory Indoors

Posted by flowergrower_2008 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 08 at 13:18

Is it true that to start Morning Glorys indoors, they should be started in jiffy peat pots or 6 pk cells, because they do not transplant well and what is the earliest to start them....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sowing Morning Glory Indoors

Yes it is true. They hate being transplanted. I would not start them any earlier than 3-4 weeks before you set them out. They are fast growers. A good tip is to chip the outer seed coat and soak in water over night before planting in peat pots.

o

I did one, I still have it from last year...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This was it last Feb
NC

o

Thanks to all, great looking Morning Glory (ninecrow). I hope mine come out as good, living here in the US, Pennsylvania!

o

If you plant them out small enough (like just after they have a true set of leaves), they will take to it just fine.

I don't nick my seeds at all, but have either sown them into a 'near mud' container (winter sowing method- I used a deep deli-salad container that particular time), or soaked them without nicking in luke-warm water, and planted them directly (because I was WAY late getting them in).

And FWIW, I have grown them indoors just to decorate a window, and they do fine, too. (My setup is at the office where we can't 'attach' anything to the windows, but I have two spring-loaded curtain rods outfitted with a fishing-line web that is nearly invisible.)

o

i tried nicking them once.. total failure.. and nearly cut the tip of my finger off ...

the next season ... i just scraped them across an emory board a few times .... just enough to get through that hard coating ....

laid them on a napkin on a china plate a second napkin over the top .. and kept them damp.. until they plumped.. then planted them in the pot ... i dont recall why ... but at least i knew which were viable at planting ...

ken

o

You can start them in small plastic cups (the size of dixie cups) and just cut the bottom of the cup off and sink the remainder of the cup in the ground where you want them to grow. Works good! Also, here in zone 4/5 I don't plant my MGs oustide until early June, and since they grow fast I wouldn't suggest starting them more than 2-3 weeks before planting outside. They do NOT like cold spells...

If you would like some Japanese MG seed mix just let me know I can send you some for postage.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket Morning Glories

o

2 More seeds have been added to the pot as the one shown above is looking a bit sad... Different colour too...
NC

o
RE: Sowing Morning Glory Indoors-Seedsower

Seedsower, I really enjoyed looking at your pics!! I had no idea there were so many kinds of MGs. I have dark purple(everywhere!! :)) a pink one that shows up ocassionally and finally last year got Heavenly blue to grow for me. I had started the blue ones many times but they would always fizzle out, die and never set seed, but I was determined that I was going to be successful and suddenly last year they grew! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here