Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OK to plant last year's seeds?

Posted by ashleysf 9 SF SouthBay (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 4, 10 at 14:45

I have a bunch of seed packets labeled for sale in 2009. I bought way too many seeds and did not get to use all of them. Are these seeds still viable in 2010? I am assuming they are. If so, they would save me a trip to the nursery.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OK to plant last year's seeds?

They should be fine as they usually are viable for many years. Here is just one of many charts available (flowers listed below veg): seed longevity chart

o

you ought to know.. within 7 to 14 days .. whether or not.. another trip is necessary ...

ken

o

Thanks, sewobsessed and ken_adrian. I went ahead and planted them. And yes, i will know in a couple of weeks whether they are viable or not :)

o

You know, how long seeds will stay viable varies greatly from one plant to another, and also how you stored those seeds. Generally many will germinate when they're that old. I have had canna seeds germinate after excavating for a septic system, I know for a fact were at least thirty years old. But, I've had some seed not make it the next year. The more typical effect of age is just a decrease in the germination rate. Yes, I most certainly do sow seeds I've had for a year and generally been successful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here