Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Germinating Datura seeds

Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 16, 10 at 14:55

Any special treatment/tricks needed with Datura seeds? (e.g. do they require nicking/filing and/or soaking prior to sowing, or better luck in a wet paper towel/plastic bag method).

Thanks for any advice you can offer :0)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Germinating Datura seeds

I planted some yesterday from Baker Creek seeds and there were no pre-treating requirements. Al

o

I had quite good results a few years ago with wintersowing datura seeds. Good germination and strong plants.

I only grew them that one year. Everyone else loved them but to me they smelled like peanut butter - and peanut butter makes me gag, lol!

:)
Dee

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 14:29

Peanut butter?!?

o

Really! I swear! And everyone I mentioned this to agreed with me, upon another sniff, lol.

:)
Dee

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 27, 10 at 9:36

It's so subjective. One of my favorite scents is Oriental lily. If heaven has a scent, I imagine it would smell like lillies. My DH, on the other hand, thinks they smell downright putrid.

A lot of people claim cilantro, one of my favorite herbs, tastes like soap. Come to find out, it's a genetic issue.

So, hey, leave the Datura for me, I'll happily sniff it, it's all good :0)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here