Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Angelonia Be Grown From Cuttings?

Posted by just_me_6 WV 6 - West Virginia (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 8, 10 at 15:13

I love Angelonia but they are too expensive to buy more than a couple of them. They really are beautiful in the hot part of the summer and every year in early August I find myself wishing I had 10 or 20 plants; not the 1-3 plants that I usually bought in the spring (because I couldn't afford more of them).

So I'd like to know if Angelonia can be propogated by cuttings and, if so, how do I do it? I'm also wondering how long it would take for them to bloom from cuttings. And can they be overwintered?

Are seeds available to some of the Wedgewood Blue or other varieties? Or are the Serena Angelonia the only onces sold as seed?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Angelonia Be Grown From Cuttings?

I think that Serena is the only seed type, I think the rest are grown by cuttings, tissue culture, or something along those lines. But how they do it, I don't know. You could experiment...get some rooting hormone from the nursery or farm type store, cut a little stem with a couple leaves and pot in up, and keep it watered. Thats how i did it with my perilla last season, and its still alive in my front room waiting for spring!

o

I am only guessing (about Angelonia), but I would think your best bet would be to buy the varieties you like this year, plant them out and then take cuttings from them in late summer. You can probably leave them outside until frost is threatening. Then take them in under lights for the winter. The trick is to take the cuttings while the plants are still strong and healthy. If you wait too late, they begin to decline and then your cuttings will likely fail. Depending on how many plants you want, you can pinch the plants back in early summer to force them to make more stems. Tip cuttings are the easiest to root.

o

see the link ...

says tip cutting... root division.. etc..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I keep looking at angelonias in my seed catalogs and think they are so pretty and today's monthly newsletter from Fine Gardening has them listed as one of 15 deer resistant plants. That sold me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here