Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugbite_gw

Petunias - hundreds of volunteers

bugbite
10 years ago

Hi folks,
Does anyone get petunia volunteers? What are your experiences with them. Last year I got maybe 20 or so. Fabulous show. This year I have hundreds. I have spent so much time moving them around my garden areas.
I hate to pull a free petunia :-).
I have plants that volunteer so much that they are culled. Can't do that yet for petunias.
The interesting thing is that the first group germinated in July from spring flowers; another group around November and now a whole new group is germinating. The first group will burst into bloom soon.
I just don't know what to make of all these free petunias.
Any experiences like this?
Thanks,
Bob

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

a weed is a plant you dont want;. in the wrong place ...

too many of any given plant... makes it a weed ..

get rid of excess... GUILT FREE ..

everything in moderation... too much of a good thing.. can ruin a good thing ...

never had a seedling.. up here in MI ...

i cant think of anymore cliches... lol ...

ken

• mandolls
    10 years ago

I grow petunias mostly in baskets, which doesn't make it easy for them to seed themselves. I once found a volunteer in a crack in the driveway, and once in a different planter that had been under the baskets the year before.

Last year I did use a bunch as bedding plants, so it will be interesting to see if anything returns from them.

Growing in Florida is a whole different experience than growing in WI - enjoy your abundance!!

• samhain10 - 5a
    10 years ago

Stop, stop! This is killing me. It's even too early for me to start my seeds indoors - all I can do is work on my garden map and interact in these forums. It's 6 freaking degrees outside as we speak. (sigh)
    Have only had one petunia volunteer over the years - I should be so lucky. :) Lovely garden display!
    - Alex

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alex, I can relate. Lived near Detroit once. I remember thinking in Feb that I had 3 months to go before the final threat of freezing was over. Had a lot of great tulips, German Iris and many other plants that can't grow down here. Matter of fact that is what is so important about a volunteer. "They like me, they really like me." :-) and it's taken years to find those flowering plants that will actually survive in this heat, bugs and other enemies ready to take down my flowering plants.
    Just an off the wall example: The ARS only lists 2 roses suited to grow in my zone...only 2. And they are right. I could grow many more varieties in other parts of the US I lived.

So you will be enjoying beautiful blooms in the summer when many of mine are done.

• grandmamaloy
    10 years ago

SO gorgeous! Count your blessings! To prevent volunteers, deadhead the blossoms before they go to seed and you might switch to growing hybrids, as these are less likely to result in "volunteers", although THAT'S not guaranteed either!

I know there are gobs of people just wishing they had your problems! Count me in!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybrid Petunia options

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Grand...
    I went crazy hybridizing petunias last year. I crossed the best; marked the stems to keep track of the pods and harvested carefully. Very happy with all the work I did...well, except for one thing. ..None of those seeds germinated!
    Sorry Grand, I just reread your post. You said BUY hybrids. You are no doubt correct about that. It's this variety of petunia, has to be. A petunia that is just plain easy and eager to germinate.
    I am not complaining. I love my volunteers. And there is a great feeling once the final volunteers have been relocated or given away.
    Of all the volunteers I get there are only 5 most sacred that I try to save every one:1. Yvonne's salvia, 2. Petunias, 3. Guaras, 4. Black-eyed Susans and 5. coreposis. (Well actually, also a certain Shasta and small flowered zinnia and Pentas :-) ). On the other hand I pull all Four o'clocks, and Maximilian sunflowers and most ruellia and Texas sage salvia.
    Thanks for the link,
    Bob

This post was edited by bugbite on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 14:49

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

I live in zone 3 and I have had volunteers come up but I never keep them because by the time they come up and grow to flowering size the summer would be half over. Besides I always have more petunias than I need from seed planted in my greenhouse.

I have even had the odd one winter over. Petunias are pretty frost hardy.

The hybrid theory doesn't wash with me because I only buy hybrid grandiflora petunia seed

• Janette Riddell
    2 years ago

I just discovered hundreds in a pot I had them in last year. I had covered the pots for the winter and just found them under the plastic. I live in One 6b and it's early May. We are expecting 1-2C the next few nights so I think I will recover them with plastic and see what happens. My heart skipped a beat I must admit! I hope they survive the cold and then I will research how to transplant them and pinch them. Fingers crossed!

Janette

• mzdee
    2 years ago

My petunias come back every year and I am always elated. This year I have seedlings in 3 different pots. Each year the colors change with different hues of pink, purples, whites and even some speckled ones. I bought them probably 8 years ago and they were deep purple. I liked the color then but I am blown away each Spring to see what Mother Nature presents.

• allaboutroses
    last year

My mother in Illinois has a beautiful border of volunteer purple petunias that line her sidewalk to the house. Many of us have tried to start our own from her seeds…no luck. I live in Texas and have tried multiple times. Any suggestions?

• mzdee
    last year

The ones that are still (see the age of this post) were started from wave petunias. They have returned since year one. Go with some of the more common ones (not the white pot or green pot versions). They are likely to be hardier.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm