Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Zinnia question

lucillle
11 years ago

I remember asking this but I don'r remember if anyone replied- instead of successive sowing can I just keep deadheading zinnias and have them keep blooming that way?

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

yes..

but it was recommended that you do both .... [or it should have been.. lol ...]

there is a GW search function up near the top right ... just for you.. i put it zinnia Lucille... and the link brings up your old post ...

have fun in your zinnia dreamscape ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• lucillle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Ken. How soon do you suppose I can start putting seeds in, I'm near Houston?

• zen_man
    11 years ago

Hi Lucille,

I think this message thread,
    Is it true that one needs to serially sow zinnias?"
    may be the one you are remembering.

ZM

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

lucille.. in my wonderful MI.. the ground will thaw around 4/1 ...

how do i know when houston is ready for lift off.. lol ...

do i have to teach you young whippersnappers everything.. lol ...

google germination temp of marigold ... and then figure out when the soil in houston will achieve and retain such warmth .. and you should be all set ...

but since you are going to sow them serially.. then just go plant 5.. and wait 10 days.. and go plant 5 more.. etc... until they are all planted .. and you have no more seed.. and keep notes for next year ... and if the first ones were planted too early.. well.. you will know for next year ...

i bet ehamel will tell you ..

ken

ps: i trust you know i am kidding around with you ...

• lucillle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you gentlemen. I will begin serially sowing in a week or so.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Lucille, I've already started a lot of seed, including sunflowers and marigolds. The ground may still be too cold here in Houston.

If you can start them indoors under lights they may come up sooner. But so far none of the flowers that I've planted in the ground or in pots have come up.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eahamel,
    I started wildflower seeds a couple weeks ago and there are hundreds of little sprouts. And I have some salvia, lamb's ears, and a few others sprouting out of their styrofoam cups. Perhaps my new location is one that is more protected, I don't know.
    I think I may start a few zinnias in the ground next week, if I go ahead and plant serially all I can lose is a few seeds worth of plants. The serial concept means that all my eggs are not in one basket.
    I long to see a cottage garden here, last year I was still sort of moving in and deciding whether or not I was too old to do all this, this year I've decided that I'm going to do all I can to garden, just a little at a time.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Lucille, yes, do all you can, a little at a time. It adds up. I'd love to see a cottage garden here, there are so few! I'm slowly transforming my front yard, digging new beds and planting, but it takes time. And energy and money. Wildflower seeds are more likely to sprout this time of year than hybridized seeds from a hotter climate, like zinnias. Let me know how you do. I may start some in pots indoors and see how they do. Planting them will require a new bed, which I have planned but not dug yet, and it won't get dug this week for sure, not with all the rain we're having. Bless the rain!

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone