Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Souces for Unusual Marigolds?

castorp
11 years ago

Hi,

I'm looking for "Single Gold," "Goldie," and more old fashioned, primitive or wild marigolds, the original "Flor de Muerto" if possible. I've been searching the major seed sites, but haven't been able to find these anywhere. I did see a couple of wildish types at Monticello Seeds, but I was wondering if any of you knew of other options.

Thank you.

Bill

Comments (14)

• zen_man
    11 years ago

Hi Bill,

This Tagetes erecta web page suggests that Flor de Muerto is Tagetes erecta. Which isn't a lot of help, because a lot of different names apply to apparently many varieties of Tagetes erecta. I think that the variety you are looking for is a single flowered specimen. I can't pinpoint a seed source for Flor de Muerto, although B & T World Seeds might have it. They probably grow wild in Mexico.

ZM

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

Look in catalogues for heirloom varieties. It would have to be a specialty heirloom catalogue. Don't be surprised if you can't find them though.Many seed companies have dropped old varieties because people prefer the newer hybrids

Personally I like the hybrid varities. They have more and bigger and better blooms because they have been bred for them

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Try Hazzard Seed's they have a large selection of seeds.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Look here. Alan Kapular has a lot of marigolds that are unusual, and he bred some of them himself. It's not an easy list to navigate - you have to do a word search to find the word "Marigold". Or, you can scroll down until you get to it. The search is easier.

Another possible source is Pinetree Seeds, which is one of my favorites for most things.

https://www.superseeds.com/

Then there's Select Seeds. These people specialize in heirloom flowers and have some old fashioned marigolds. I like their goal - sustainability and bee-friendly heirloom flowers.

www.selectseeds.com

Marigolds have several different types, so it's hard to know from your descriptions which type yours would be. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peace Seeds

• castorp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to you all for the information.

Wow, Peace Seeds really does have an unusual selection. I can't find pics anywhere but it's tempting to try some just to see what comes up. Thanks!!

I'm going to keep searching the sites and varieties.

Bill

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Bill, I am very intrigued about your motive for locating these older varieties. I am very interested in the earliest specimens of many of our ornamental plants.

I was under the impression that 'Flor de muertos ' is an all inclusive term for marigolds, in general, and not a varietal name. The Day of the Dead goes back for many centuries. Are you sure that the 'flower of death' of those days was even a marigold?

I do know that the older varieties pack powerful properties that the ubiquitous hybrids do not. Perhaps you are looking for those good genes.

It's very intriguing to me. I'd love it if you shared.

• castorp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhizo, thank you for the interest.

It started because I wanted to use marigolds as a cover crop in the vegetable garden, to help keep down nematodes (a problem in FL) and also just for looks. So I began researching varieties shown to reduce nematodes in tests. The specific varieties listed in my original question are some of those. Many of the tests were conducted decades ago so I suspect some of the varieties have fallen out of fashion or even disappeared.

As I searched for those varieties (without finding most of them) I began looking at many pictures of marigolds and found myself drawn to Tagetes patula with a big (3- 4 foot) irregular mounding habits, single or semi-double flowers, or flowers with more delicate colors. They just seemed to go with the look I wanted. These marigolds were often described as wild or heirloom, so I thought, maybe that's the type marigold I wanted.

Of all the marigold pics I've seen, some of my favorites are original blend or mix from Seeds of Change, which I now realize was founded by Mr. Kapuler, the same person breeding the marigolds for Peace Seeds listed above, which makes me think maybe I should give his "China Cat" mix a try. There's no pic but I like his taste and the description sounds right.

Those nematode tests did list a variety called "Flor de Muerto," so I'm assuming there actually was one sold under that name at some point.

Bill

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I had a stong suspicion that your interest might have something to do with nematodes. Terrific! I've done quite a bit of reading about intercropping or cover cropping with marigolds as a very effective control of those pests.

I know that without intercropping, agricultural crops wouldn't be able to be grown in some countries.

• flowergirl70ks
    11 years ago

If anyone sees any Lemon Drop seed for sale, please post here.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

If it's nematodes you're trying to control, this may be the one you need. The description says:

#48302 MARIGOLD GROUND CONTROL - $1.50

This variety has the most potent nematicidal effect of all the single flowered marigolds. Nice yellow flowers upon 24 to 36 inch foliage; it is heat tolerant, attractive for landscaping, and has long-lasting blooms. 100 seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinetree Gardens Marigolds

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I knew there was a true nematodal marigold out there, and found it! I've grown this one before. You don't grow it for the flowers, but it will deter nematodes.

Here's what they say about it:

"Marigold, Nematocidal

Tagetes minuta
    This is a rare variety that can also be planted as a cover crop to attract beneficial insects. If you till these plants into the soil when they flower, they will deter harmful insects.

When planted as a summer cover crop and tilled into the soil at flowering stage this marigold will effectively deter harmful nematodes. Rich fragrance and diminutive flowers attract many beneficial insects. (Invasive, cannot be sold in HI) "

Here is a link that might be useful: Marigold for Nematodes

• zen_man
    11 years ago

Tagetes minuta is not the only species of marigold used against nematodes. For example, see Protecting Crops from Nematode Pests:
    Using Marigold as an Alternative to Chemical Nematicides

• Edie
    11 years ago

I've grown two of Kapuler's marigolds. In 2010 I was a member of a community garden. Various local farms gave us started plants. Mostly vegetables, but there were flowers too. I got a four-pack each of "Sparkler" and "Red Metamorph" and planted them in my plot. I had never seen marigolds like these before. They got waist high and I was able to cut long-stemmed marigold bouquets. They do change color as he describes. I've still got seeds I saved from "Sparkler" that year and am making a note to grow them this year.

If you're not sure which ones you'd like, the mix is the way to go. You can select your favorites and save seed of those.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I like Kapular's marigolds, they're the only ones I've seen that get that large! Mine were about 4' tall, but then, I'm in a warmer climate with a longer growing season. I like the work he's doing.