Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Osteosperum/African Daisy Questions please.

Posted by gardeningwithlcgrace NE PA (freytamra@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Feb 11, 09 at 19:19

I love the colors that I see in the garden centers....white with blue eye and lavender colors with blue.

I've seen packets of seed for these but only in the white/orange coloring.

Is there a different variety I should be looking for? Will I need to buy the plant? Will the seed come "true" for color? Can I dig it up and care for it inside during the winter....or take a cutting and try to keep it inside?

I will admit, I haven't done a search for seed of my favorite colors from seed catalogs. I did get an email selling the plants though. The prices??? geeze! I know I can get the plants at Lowes or Home Depot in the spring. I was hoping to take the cheaper route.

Has anyone started them from seed? Or tried winter sowing them? Thanks for your thoughts! LC Grace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Osteosperum/African Daisy Questions please.

LC - look for varieties "Asti" or "Passion" - those are the types you want in the color range you want. The seeds won't be cheap!

o

I grew the Asti Osteospermum from seed and really liked them. There are 3 colors available: white, lavender and purple.

I bought the seeds on ebay, $4.50 for 50 seeds which is great, because I almost payed the same price for 10 seeds.

Here's the link to lavender, purple and white.

They are perennials, so I guess you can bring them inside for the winter. Here where I live we don't have frosts and they just stop flowering after the end of summer and start blooming on late spring.

o

I bought these a few years ago, and really liked them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Value Seeds - 80 seeds for a buck

o

I have African Daisy plants which i grew from seed but I sowed them in mid June. They are outside but have no sign of buds. It is between 1 and 7 C and gets light at 8 a.m. and dark at 5.30 p.m. Is it too late for them to flower? Should I have them in a window facing south indoors instead where it is between 20 and 23 C? Perhaps they would do better in my glazed balcony where I try to keep the temperature at least 10 C? Are they annuals or can they be kept for next year? I would very much like to see them flower and to be able to collect seeds from them for next year. Is there anything I can do to bring them to flower? Thank you for any help.

o

I have African Daisy plants which i grew from seed but I sowed them in mid June. They are outside but have no sign of buds. It is between 1 and 7 C and gets light at 8 a.m. and dark at 5.30 p.m. Is it too late for them to flower? Should I have them in a window facing south indoors instead where it is between 20 and 23 C? Perhaps they would do better in my glazed balcony where I try to keep the temperature at least 10 C? Are they annuals or can they be kept for next year? I would very much like to see them flower and to be able to collect seeds from them for next year. Is there anything I can do to bring them to flower? Thank you for any help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here