Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for chartreuse vine

Posted by valzone5 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 06 at 19:25

I want to put some chartreuse vines in with my potted annuals this year and thought I remembered reading/hearing that sweet potato vine is this color - does that sound right? If so, can I start one with a regular old grocery store sweet potato? If so again, when do I start one to aim for a potting time of end of May?

Thanks,

Val

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for chartreuse vine

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 12, 06 at 11:24

Yes, there is a chartreuse sweet potato vine, "Marguerite". It really is chartreuse, no kidding!

BTW - sweet potato vine does best in full sun, it doesn't get as lush in part-shade.

o
RE: sweet potato

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 12, 06 at 11:28

Also, in regard to starting one from a grocery store potato, sure you could, but it probably won't be the color leaves you're looking for. If you don't have your heart set on chartreuse leaves, this would be a great inexpensive alternative. "Marguerite" is readily available when the annuals are put out, sweet potato vines have become quite popular. You can save the tubers that are formed and use them next year, too.

o

Thanks! I will start some from some sweet potatoes anyway for the fun/experiment of it. I will then get some in the chartreuse from the nursery. Re saving the tubers...how do I store them? I am in zone 5 - good and cold for about 6 months. Can I store them like I store my bulbs?

o

I stored my chartreuse potato vine tuber at room temperature last winter, and it was just great when I replanted it in the spring. Also, you can take tip cuttings all season that will root in water within days, and those can be potted up as well. Once you've bought one plant, you'll be set for life! Bought one--what am I saying? I got several slips off commercial plantings that were all over the sidewalk a few years ago. They are amazingly prolific, and set off pretty much any other color beautifully. Love the purple ones, too, but they aren't as generous. I have a couple of pots of them overwintering in a sunny room--don't know how they'll do.

o

Last year I got a two hanging pots of sweet potato from Wallyworld (Marguerite and Blackie) Each pot had 5 plants in it as was probably $10 each. I took them apart and planted in the garden. I love how they just sprawl all over the place! Now if only I could remember to dig them up in the fall!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here