Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lisianthus and Fungus Gnats!!!! Hurry before they all die!

Posted by rinomanfroni 8a Dallas TX (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 7, 10 at 20:41

My seedlings of Lisianthus (hundreds!) have been decimated by Fungus Gnats. They kill seedlings in a matter of less than one day.

Is there anything I can buy at the Home Depot to kill these insects?

Thanks, I need help as soon as possible because they are dying even right now!

Rino

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lisianthus and Fungus Gnats!!!! Hurry before they all die!

Rino,

You may have both Fungus Gnats and Damping Off. Damping Off can kill seedlings quickly. The Fungus Gnats themselves (the adults) probably aren't hurting your seedlings, but they lay eggs that hatch into maggots that feed on the roots of your seedlings. They wouldn't kill your seedlings so quickly, but certainly could stunt their growth.

I control Fungus Gnat maggots in the soil by watering with a solution that includes some powdered Mosquito Dunks. I use them because I happen to have them on hand. They should be available locally in a home store or garden center. I place a dunk, or a piece of one, in a Ziploc bag, place it on a hard concrete surface, and pound it into powder with a hammer. I add that powder to the water that I water my seedlings with. Don't breath the dust and wash your hands after. However, any product that contains Bt and is labeled for fungus gnats should work.

ZM

o

The most important element here is probably the overly moist condition of your potting medium. That's what causes the assorted diseases that cause 'damping off' in seedling, as well as fostering a healthy fungus gnat larvae population.

What kind of seed germination set-up do you have; what's your potting soil like; soil temperatures vs. room temperature, air circulation, etc. If we had some further information, we could do more to steer you in the right direction next time.

o

I treated the seedlings with a Bayer Advanced insect killer and also a fungicide. I sprayed thoroughly over the trays. Today the seedlings that were still alive have not disappeared! I hope it will continue to be like this for a long time!

This is how I created my little greenhouse in the patio closet. The three round pots are those where the Lisianthus are growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here