Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lantana - anyone grow this from seed?

Posted by irish_rose_grower z7 LI NY (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 21, 09 at 22:26

I'm wondering if i get seeds and start indoors now will it bloom this year?

Thanks
Maureen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lantana - anyone grow this from seed?

Hi Maureen,
I don't see why you couldn't. I saved some seeds from a cross between two varieties and planted them at the end of April last year. Everything I had read said they were hard to grow from seed. I would agree with that. Out of a dozen seeds, I only had two sprout. Only one of those survived. It took until the end of September before I had it bloom. Here's a couple of pics of it. Give it a shot.
BTG
From Flowers
From Flowers

o

Read up some more on it (google or something). One year I wanted to save some seed to try and grow my own...and I recall reading somewhere it takes 6 months from planting seed to getting the blooms. Hope I'm wrong.

~kioni~

o

• Posted by alley 7b Ft. Worth, Tx (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 21:05

I think that I got some in a seed exchange. I winter sowed them and also had terrible germination rates. Only one came up out of the bunch, and it did bloom at the end of the summer. I kept it in a pot, so that may have been part of the problem. I have more winter sown this year, but so far, nothing.

o

hi thanks for the feedback. I"m sowed my today indoors on a heat mat in a sunny south window. When it germinates I will move it to the basement under lights).

Brockthegreek - the bloom on your lantan is so beautiful. thanks for the pics.

o

Hi. New here, and not someone with a green thumb. But I have a spot in my yard where we can't get anything to grow. I have a pink and yellow lantana that we have actually been trying to kill off (it's crowding a young mesquite we want to succeed). For now the lantana has found a spot we'll let it be in if it will stay put. Anyway, I thought I could take the seeds from this super hardy perennial and plant them in my empty spot. It's starting to make seeds now, they are green. In the fall they turn black and look like blackberries. Is that when they are ready for planting? Do I plant the whole fruit? Should I plant it in the fall or save it for spring? How should I save it? Thanks for any advice. I live in very arid high desert mesa, and both locations are very sunny.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here