Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

looking for these features......

gardenlady48
15 years ago

Greetings~

Is there a cosmos or zinnia that can reach 3-4' with orange flower petals? I saw a plant that looked similar outside of Cabelas in St. Louis last summer. I've yet to find a seed packet with that description.

TIA

Comments (10)

• Donna
    15 years ago

You must have seen Cosmos Bright Lights. It fits your description perfectly.

• gardenlady48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks donnabaskets for getting back to me! Now I know what to look for.
    Happy Gardening...

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

FYI- Bright Lights doesn't typically reach 3-4' here in my Z5 garden. I get probably 2-2 1/2 feet max. So YMMV on that one.

One thing you might try: Call that Cabela's location, and ask to speak to the person/company that does their landscaping. They'll know what they've got planted there.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

It wasn't possibly a tithonia that you saw, was it?

:)
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: tithonia

• gardenlady48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dee,
    I don't think so...I remember the foliage reminding me of a very tall airy marigold foliage. Tithonia is described as velvety and bushy. BUT...I'm adding that one to my list! Gorgeous! Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
    :-)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Hmm, well, then maybe it was a cosmos. My Bright Lights didn't quite make it to 4ft, but maybe they were at least 3ft. And of course, just because they didn't grow that tall for me doesn't mean much, lol!

This year I'm trying cosmos Polidor. My Bright Lights didn't do so well last year, and Polidor is supposed to bloom earlier, so I'm giving that a shot. Besides, I love cosmos so much I have to try all of them, lol!

Glad you like the tithonia. I never liked orange before, but it has grown on me and tithonia is a great flower!

:)
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Polidor

• Donna
    15 years ago

Just for the sake of discussion, I would point out that climate can affect the size of plants. I have seen Bright Lights get as tall as I am (5'9") in our area. That is the main reason I don't often grow them. Of course, that doesn't help you in Illinois. If it's the height you need, you might want to try the Tithonia. It's beautiful.

• franeli
    15 years ago

There is a zinnia called 'Inca' in this year's Fedco seed catalog that grows waist high with hunter orange flowers.
    Just a thought... it has long stems for cutting.

• gardenlady48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

franeli,
    wow! That one is going on my list too! Thanks for sharing that info with me....you guys are great!
    Happy Gardening to all~

• token28001
    15 years ago

Just an FYI on the Bright Lights cosmos, I had some over 5' tall last year due to excessive nitrogen in the lasagna bed I created. I also had others under 2' tall from the same seed package. So I think it's possible they could reach that tall depending on location and growing conditions.

And they do look a lot like airy marigolds.