Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan273

annual with pineapple like scent...

perennialfan273
14 years ago

I remember seeing this plant somewhere, and the scent smelled so good. A lot like pineapples. The blooms (or whatever the thing on top is called) were yellow. They didn't really look like flowers though, more like a little round thing on top. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about

Comments (15)

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

Could it have been Pineapple Weed? It has little round yellow flowers. I have some growing in one of my gardens, it reseeds pretty heavy so you probably won't have to plant it every year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pineapple Weed

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

pineapple geranium???

see link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• sybilkrizinski
    14 years ago

Maybe pineapple sage?

• perennialfan273
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, I don't think it's pineapple weed. This is a perennial (technically it's a tender perennial). Also, THE FLOWERS WERE YELLOW, and I don't think pineapple sage or pineapple geranium have yellow flowers.

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

Pineapple weed is an annual that reseeds...its not a perennial.
    Its latin name is Matricaria discoidea, I think it used to be in the Chamomilla genus, but they renamed it.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Why not try the Perennials Forum, or the Name This Plant Forum? You might get some more suggestions.

I'd like to know which part of the plant had the aroma....the flower or the foliage? And what did the foliage look like?

• perennialfan273
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't say that pineapple weed was a perennial. I said THIS plant (the one that I'm talking about!) is a perennial. Also, I don't really remember what part of the plant had the aroma, but I'm pretty sure that it was the flowers.

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

Do you remember whether you saw it in your zone or somewhere else? Cytisus battandieri is known as Pineapple Broom but it wouldn't live in z5.

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

Oops, I'm sorry! I guess I just figured the plant in question was an annual...cause its posted in the annual forum. In that case I am stumped!
    Good luck in your search :)

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

Sarahbarah27 - the OP says it's an annual in their headline then later says it's a perennial. No wonder you're confused. I certainly was.

• perennialfan273
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The reason I called in an annual in the heading is because most people grow it as an annual. But technically by nature it is a perennial. I hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion. So far, none of the plants that have been mentioned in the forum are what this is. Keep guessing. I know that when I see the genus I'll recognize it.

• ponder
    14 years ago

Look up Helenium aromaticum and see if that's what you're looking for.

• perennialfan273
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was helenium aromaticum (also known as cephalaphora aromaticum). What a cool plant! Has anyone ever grown this??

• coffeeasap
    13 years ago

FEbruary is the time for the Pineapple weeds to bloom. They smell strongly like pineapples, have yellow cone-shaped buds and are related to the chamomile. many people make tea out of the buds. they are a dominate weed and do not tolerate taller weeds or plants and will take over. I experimented with this theory and proved this to be correct. Over the last two years I have selectively killed most of my weeds in my fenced portion of my yard, about 200' x 30' dirt area. I allowed some of the pineapple weeds to grow and sprayed weedkiller on the other weeds including killing pineapple weeds where they grow within the other weeds. Last month, to my amazement, when all of my weeds normally begin to sprout, about 98% of my yard is now pineapple weeds! I have systematically rid myself of those ugly weeds and now have nothing buy pineapple weeds and absolutely NO other weeds in between them anywhere! I will now plant some on my hillside in hopes to do the same thing on those hard to reach areas and hopefully next year I will have the same result, thus, eliminating the need to ever weed or spray weedkiller again in those difficult areas. Not to mention, they smell wonderful even if you leave them uncrushed. The smell sweet like pineapple especially in the morning sun. Also, my dogs love them and have become addicted to them, nibbling off only the yellow buds and leaving the plant portion untouched. Sometimes it is difficult to pull them away..

• perennialfan273
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Coffee you seem to have quite a few of these in your yard! If you can part with a few, I have some stuff you may be interested in. Send me an e-mail if interested.