Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat and Drought Resistant bedding plants

Posted by ursulita z6 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 07 at 2:51

I have two flower beds that get sun all day, and one of those beds is raised, drains extremely well, and gets a lot of heat due to its enclosed location near stone walls. Any pretty annuals (flowering or foliage) that will do well there?

I need some tough as nails plants, seriously. It's a somewhat cursed spot! And I sometimes am way too busy to water, or I have to travel... and summer temps get to +100F here. Help!

Thanks so much!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat and Drought Resistant bedding plants

Hello Ursulita, Portulaca comes to mind a low growing succulent plant that is great for dry places. Mesembryanthemum (Ice Plant) is also succulent and low growing. Sedums are also succulent. Anything succulent will grow well in dryer soil. Janet

o

Well, Janet took the words right out of my mouth, lol! Those are exactly the three plants I was doing to suggest. I have all three of these out by the street, in poor soil, in full sun plus the heat of the asphalt, and I pretty much neglect them, and they do well.

You can also try a perennial iceplant, delosperma, which is supposed to be hardy to zone 6. I've tried Starburst, which I have had trouble getting to overwinter. Perhaps you might have more luck with it or with another variety.

:)
Dee

o

You might also want to expand your horizons a bit and add some perennials into that spot. Many of them are profoundly more drought tolerant than annuals. A couple of the plants mentioned above are perennials.

o

Oh sheesh! I didn't even think about being on the Annuals forum when I answered! I guess I thought I was on Perennials (well, portulaca isn't a perennial, but reseeds nicely).

I've been trying to think of other plants that might have some height (although the sedum comes in taller varieties). I wonder if lavender would work here. I can think of several perennials that are drought-tolerant, but the heat is one thing I'm not sure about. Maybe achillea, or iris or santolina? Helianthus?

:)
Dee

o

Well, in my mind, the primary drawback against annuals for ursulita is that she is 'too busy' to water sometimes, or travels. That makes it difficult for almost any annual.

However, it's pretty easy to set up a temporary sprinkler with a programmable timer. I've done that many times with my bonsai (which cannot be left for even one day during the summer). The timer goes on the hose bib, and your hose hooks to that.

That inexpensive piece of equipment would open up the entire world of annuals. What do you think of that, ursilita?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here