Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kiss me over the garden gate

Posted by carol14 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 8:13

I would like to plant "Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate" (polygonum orientale), but I am afraid it will "invade" the neighboring property. My husband farms the surrounding fields and I don't want to plant anything that he will be battling for years to come.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kiss me over the garden gate

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this one? Would appreciate any advice.

o

It does spread for me in Zone 5.....a lot!

o

Oops....I confused with Love Lies Bleeding.
I always mix those 2 up.

o

i suspect you are enamored by the name ... get over it... lol ...

every plant that i was forewarned as being a problem.. became .... A HUGE PROBLEM...

what more do you need to know????

ken

ps: also.. every plant i planted because i was enamored by the name.. became a problem... lol... like love lies bleeding.. what a reseeding nightmare ... 5 years after KILLING IT... seeds were still coming every spring ...

o

I'm not personally familiar with this plant, not having grown it, but is described in the literature as a plant that "reseeds readily ", "spreads quickly ", "noninvasive but may naturalize", "can be invasive in parts of the southeast ".

The more recent Latin nomenclature, by the way, is Persicaria orientalis, though it will continue to be called by both names. For a common name, I've always called it Princess Feather.

o

Thanks everyone- think I better resist the urge to plant this one. It is very beautiful though.

o

I grow both every year. Kiss Me Over the Gate is not the least bit invasive in my yard and in fact, every year I scatter seeds and wish for more volunteers.

Love Lies Bleeding is not invasive either, but I do have many volunteers pop up. Problem is, they never pop up where I want them to so I always start a 6-pack of them to plant where I want them to grow.

Perhaps it's my zone, or my dry winter winds, but I don't have problems with invasives like most of the country seems to.

KMOTGG gets tall....I mean really tall....like 12 feet tall.

o

I'm with runswithscissors....

Never invasive for me either.....must have lots to do with location.

vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here