Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Will anything grow if directly sown into mulch?

docmom_gw
11 years ago

I spent last fall preparing my only sunny space using a modified lasagna technique. I hauled in well aged horse manure and put down a 3-4 inch layer. Then we spent the fall shredding oak leaves into very fine mulch and put down another 3-4 inches of that. The area is huge, at least 100 ft long and 20 ft deep all along the front of my yard up against the road. Full sun and dry, sandy soil underneath. I'm planning to spring sow tons of annual seeds into containers and plant them out when they have some size to them, but I would love to simply toss down some seeds,too, and see if they grow. The leaf mulch is quite fine, with the particles ranging from dust to less than1/2 inch. Does anyone think I could directly sow anything successfully? I want to keep the plants close to the road on the short side to maintain visibility for cars pulling out of driveways. I have a number of zinnia seeds saved from last year. Also some annual asters. I also have a bunch of snapdragon seeds that I could try.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Martha

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey

you are a doctor.. right?? .. words mean things ...

mulch is a ground cover.. that helps maintain moisture in the soil under ...

compost is a soil amendment... that does the same.. but also degrades to amends the soil ...

leaf mulch [probably more correctly leaf MOLD] is fresh compost that will amend the soil.. that acts as a mulch.. for a while ...

your biggest issue with what you are trying to do ... no matter what you call what you have.. is water management for babes ... and depending how all your stuff settled.. and started decomposing ... no one can really tell you if sowing will work ...

if your top dressing is too deep ... and dry on top.. the seeds will fail before they can get a root into mother earth ...

since one normally has about double the number of seed you actually need.. providing you are a success.. then frankly.. try both methods.. and learn ...

i guess i would be more tempted.. to pull back your leaves.. and make a 6 inch bare earth furrow in the compost ..... as long as need be.. and sow the seed directly on the soil.. and then.. after they germinate.. move the mulch nearer for water retention ... and then when they get big enough.. on a rainy day.. move them around ....

and BTW.. you should be doing this in late april.. in MI .. though i presume.. you are just studying up your options in advance ...

ken

• lucillle
    11 years ago

Docmom, if the mulch is fine ground and the little seedlings can get their roots through to the ground, and if you keep it all damp, it sounds like a plan.
    I buy seeds by the pound from Wildseed Farms by the way, and the various combinations they have make spectacular swathes of flowers. All I do is make sure that, as I just told you, the particles are fine enough for them to get roots down, and I keep it all watered while they are tiny seedlings.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like everyone is thinking exactly the way I am. I think I'll do a combination of wintersowing to plant out later, pull back the leaf layer to plant directly into the soil, and throw some seeds around to see what happens. I won't be starting annual seeds for at least another month. Snow in April is almost guaranteed around here, and my light unit is already full of coleus cuttings and seeds. Happy growing.

Martha

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

sometimes i wonder if rhiz just likes to rhaz ... wink, wink ...

she argues with me on the words.. and then agrees with me that you cant grow seeds on top of mulch..

whats that all about ...

ken

• lucillle
    11 years ago

Ken, you bring that on yourself like flowers bring bees....