Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Gerebera daisies need full sun?

Posted by dcrosby 5MA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 11:34

Dear Garden Folk

In your experience do Gerbera daisies need full sun?

Thanks so much!

Dale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Gerebera daisies need full sun?

my general rule of thumb.. is the bigger the flower.. the more sun that is needed.. for ULTIMATE performance ... especially as the plant itself gets smaller ...

plants need power to make those big flowers ... and as shade increases.. power or energy production will go down ...

can it live in shade.. probably ...

will it flower in shade... maybe ... depending on how much shade

will it perform to its highest potential in shade.. doubt it ...

best rule.. experiment in your own garden ... plant some in each spot.. to learn for next year .. as there is no way for us to figure what you mean by shade ... or part sun ... only the plant can do that ...

good luck

ken

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi Pakistan (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 1:13

Ken is right.. in my experience they perform best under afternoon shade but I live in a 11b kinda region and we have scorching sun in summers.. direct morning sun 2-3 hrs or direct late afternoon sun are ideal here..

o

I'm thinking about a part sun situation but it's the water issues that's got me wondering now. Any comments about that?

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi Pakistan (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 0:39

I watered them when the soil around them looks dry, which is usually the third or fourth day of watering, many time I skipped the routine watering taking longer gaps but they seemed to be unaffected. I never watered them form top unless I intended to wash the foliage. Mine were in ground.

o

I am in zone 7b-8, and from my experience - they do best with some afternoon protection and morning sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here