Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevation

Favorite direct sow annuals?

stevation
17 years ago

With 200+ seedlings growing in my basement, I don't have room to plant any more seeds indoors. But I have some very long flowerbeds and my wife wants more annuals this summer to get better long-lasting color. We can't plant till May in our climate, so here's the question: What are your favorite direct-sown annuals that will flower very quickly if sown in May and have good color through summer? I'm trying to keep the costs down, which is why I'd prefer sowing seeds rather than buying plants.

I have some seeds I gathered from Profusion Cherry Zinnias in my yard last year, but I hear they may not come true to color from seed (I may try anyway). I also have perhaps a thousand seeds off of some nice French Marigolds I've grown for a few years, and I will include them in the beds, but I don't want too much orange, so they can't be dominant.

I don't really like the ball-shaped marigolds or zinnias, so I'd prefer some flowers with more simple shapes. Daisies are good, so I could use African daisies (dimorphotheca) as part of it, but again, some of those are orange. How about some yellows, whites, pinks, reds, and purples? Any great ideas?

Steve

Comments (9)

• hopflower
    17 years ago

There are nasturtiums and also cornflowers to sow; both of which come in a variety of colours.

• ninamora
    17 years ago

You can sow Larkspur now. Lovely and tall.
    Likes the cool weather too.
    Calendula, California poppy, as well as other annual poppies. The peony flowered ones are beautiful.

• jackied164 z6 MA
    17 years ago

My favorites are california poppies and nasturtiums. I dont think there is any point in sowing them anyother way. I also direct sow morning glories.

• mmegaera
    17 years ago

Love in a mist (nigella), alyssum, bachelor's buttons (cornflowers), nasturtiums, morning glories, larkspur, virginian stock.

Most of these are cool-season annuals, though, and won't keep going through a hot summer, although the morning glories will be happy to. I did some lovely moonflowers via direct-sowed seed once in a hot climate, though. Wow, they smelled good. But they only bloom at night.

• stevation
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Won't the allysum last through the summer? I do have a packet of seeds that have sat around for a few years. I should give them a try.

I have a lot of self-sowing California poppies in one of the beds, and the seedlings are all over the place (so much so that I'll need to thin out what's out there). I know I was not enthusiastic about orange in my first post, but I do like the color of Calif. poppies; perhaps they have a little more gold in them.

So, if my focus is on summer annuals, it looks like some of the suggestions above won't work very well. Are Calendulas cool season plants, too?

Any more ideas for medium and short flowers? Like 6-12" tall? Some yellows, purples, or pinks? Ones that will flower all summer and be quick to bloom from an early May sowing?

Thanks!
    Steve

• janet_grower
    17 years ago

The Alyssum will last through the summer. Other suggestions are 4 O'Clocks (Mirabilis jalapa) very easy, Lavatera, Datura "Lilac le fleur" I started mine about 6 weeks ago and they are about 12" now and blooming, next year I'll wait or direct sow these babies. For shorter plants Viola "Johnny Jump Up", for foliage interest Coleus, Portulaca great for dry areas (succulent). Janet

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

I normally just let the ones I could direct sow self-sow themselves. Seems whenever I try to butt in they never come up! They only one I have much luck direct sowing are Nigella just after harvesting seed....I just toss and walk away. I tried a direct sowing of poppies last Thanksgiving...don't see anything yet so just sowed some more! Sunflowes do self-sow...madly, but am gonna give some direct sowing a try; one is 3' and the other's are giants.
    This is the list of those self-sowers you might have better luck direct sowing :D
    Amaranthus
    Cosmos
    Nicotiana alata
    Linaria maroccana
    Viola (sometimes short lived perennials for me)
    Salvia hormonium
    Salvia coccinea
    Rudbeckia amplexicaulis
    Clarkia elegans
    Cynoglossum amabile (Chinese Forget Me Not)
    Sweet Alyssum
    Larkspur (these will self sow in late summer/fall and winter over...as well as get more spring germination)
    German Chamomile (can keep them going a long time with frequent deadheading/harvesting of flowers for tea)
    Moss Rose
    Snapdragon (some can be perennial zone 6 and warmer)

As far as Profussion Zinnia, I recieved some harvested Pink Profussion in trade. The ones I wintersowed all came true! We see what happens from the seed I harvested this year :D

• anchita
    17 years ago

I'm a couple of zones hotter than you, so your mileage may vary. But I had great luck direct seeding dwarf cosmos last year. Thrived in poor soil and full sun, and bloomed pretty quickly. I got the seeds from wildseedfarms.com -- the only place I could find the dwarfs. They have a dwarf sensation mix, among others, that grows to 12-16", and has pink, white or purple flowers. Other dwarfs are yellow, gold and orange. Lots of varieties of cosmos and other wildflowers too. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: wildseedfarms

• stevation
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, folks! You've given me some great ideas. I'll take note of all these and decide on several varieties to use.

Steve