Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugbite_gw

Zinnia roots - width?

bugbite
11 years ago

Zenman (or anyone else who knows),
When you pull up your zinnias have you ever measured the typical width of the roots? If so, how wide do the roots spread?
How deep do they grow?
Just typical, larger varieties.
Thanks!
Bob

Comments (7)

• zen_man
    11 years ago

Hi Bob,

Zinnia root systems are usually more extensive than you would expect. Typically they will be significantly bigger than a "mirror" of the overhead growth. Their roots are related to the overhead growth, in that the dwarf zinnias also have dwarf root systems. Zinnia roots need oxygen, so they will not grow significantly into dense hard-packed subsoil. I use my Pick Tines on my Merry Tiller to attack our subsoil hardpan. My regular Slasher tines, Bolo tines, and Finger tines are not up to the challenge. Zinnias respond well to well drained soil, which is another way of saying "open" soil. Our native soil here is somewhat heavy and dense like clay, though it is not clay, but somewhat silt-like.

I have added a lot of sand to the garden soil here as a soil amendment (and some gypsum), and the zinnias respond very well to the resulting good open sandy loam, and develop massive root systems. I think that is because sandy soil breathes well, and organic matter breaks down quicker in it. For that reason, my big zinnias develop very extensive root systems, so much so that I cannot pull them out by hand as part of my Fall cleanup.

My big zinnias are like little trees, and I have to treat them as little trees in my Fall cleanup. I use an Extractigator tool to pull them. I also use the Extractigator to pull up many of the weed trees in the garden. We have a big elm tree that puts out a bountiful crop of flying elm seeds each year. I discard my pulled up zinnias in the trash rather than compost them, to avoid disease buildup.

ZM

• bugbite
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks ZM,
    I appreciate the information.
    I planted the Super Cactus Zinnia in fall/winter.
    They did OK, but I know I did not prepare their holes well enough. I am now transplanting spring Zinnia seedlings to my garden.
    Last year I measured my American Marigolds root system (see photo). This year I am allocating a 12" circle for each.
    Sounds like the Zinnias, "like little trees", will need the same. :-)
    Thanks for your help.
    Bob

• bugbite
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ZM, Incidentally the Extractigator seems like a cool tool. Hope I will need something like that to get mine out. :-)
    When you need one of those to pull your annuals, you know you are doing something right.
    Bob

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

Boy. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. My Zinnia roots certainly do not mirror what is above the ground. And I can easily pull them out of the ground with one hand. In fact, I have to make sure I bring scissors into the garden for dead heading, because if I just try to pull the spent blooms off by hand, the entire plant comes out of the ground. My plants seemed pretty healthy and had wonderful blooms, despite the horribly dry summer. But they certainly don't have roots like my perennials. I must say, I have very sandy soil, so pulling anything out isn't much of a chore.

Martha

• bugbite
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Martha,
    I found that my Marigold roots are wide but only 3 inches deep. I can get them up rather easily. But because they are shallow I need to stake because the tops can get very top heavy. I am talking about American Marigolds not French marigolds. I am sure it is specific to each variety, of course. I grow Narai.
    Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Narai

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I think most living plants have roots equal to the size of their canopy and height. I am very excited that ZM posted the link to that tool!

Oh my! we have 1.4 acres of native, weedy shrubs on the edge of wilderness and there is a need to clear due to fire danger. Compared to the cost of hiring a few laborers to assist in clearing, this tool seems like a cheap option.

I am really excited about planting Amaranthus which grow really high, and I will definitely use this tool to extract them in the fall.

Anything that freely seeds and sprouts where it is not wanted is a weed! Our soil is sandy, so things might extract easier, but hand pulling is no fun!

Thanks again for that link!

Suzi

• zen_man
    11 years ago

Hi Suzi,

I am making my soil a bit sandy by adding clean fill sand as a soil amendment. I recently had another load delivered. If you have sandy soil, you might find the "Big Foot" attachment for the Extractigator to your liking. I bought mine several years ago before either the smaller version of the tool or the Big Foot option was offered. I am halfway tempted to order the smaller version with the Bigfoot add-on to supplement my regular Extractigator. My regular one is kind of overkill for some zinnias and weeds, and pushing the handle down is easy. It is much easier on my back to push down than to pull up.

For some really challenging old zinnias and Lambs Quarter weeds (which can grow huge and almost tree-like) my regular Extractigator is not overkill. It was also well challenged by some 12-foot Pikes Peak sunflowers that I planted last year. But the little Extractigator looks kind of neat, and it would be easier to carry around. The regular one is a bit on the heavier side and, in my opinion, a bit over-designed. Its reinforced handle looks like it is way stronger than it needs to be.

ZM
    (not associated with any product mentioned or linked)