Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danieldryer

nasturtiums

danieldryer
15 years ago

I am wasting tooo many nasturtium seeds.........do they need light or darkness to germinate???

Shawn

Comments (22)

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

I winter sow mine, and have always started them in the container no deeper than the size of the seed, then just covered. No germination issues, but I understand they don't like to be transplanted, so I do that when the seedlings are WAY small.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

• davemichigan
    15 years ago

I planted them directly outside last year. My package says to cover them with 1/2" of soil. I only use the information as relative/rough guide. You don't have to actually measure them.

While I didn't count them, I think all my seeds germinated and grew well. The reason I think it was all of them I equally spaced the seeds, and I didn't see any gap.

In other words, I found them very easy. Maybe you were doing something wrong? Could you give us some details on how/when you did it? Was it indoor or outdoor?

Here are some pictures of my nasturtiums from last year:

{{gwi:4508}}

{{gwi:4510}}

{{gwi:4512}}

• amna
    15 years ago

I germinated mine under constant light at 75-80F last year. They came up pretty fast and it was kind of cool to watch the seedlings rotate in the direction of the light source :-)

• jackied164 z6 MA
    15 years ago

I soak my seeds overnight and direct sow in early to mid may. I have ws'd and done them inside but they sulk when finally put into the garden and like I said in another post I feel like this sulking time is nearly equal to the time the direct sown ones get up and going.

• kioni
    15 years ago

I love nasturtiums too! Do you not get bothered by the little green caterpillar that devours my plants mid summer, and then they look so bad I end up pulling them out. And in my zone, to plant something new midsummer, even marigolds/allysum, means they don't start blooming well until a few weeks before frost. So then there's that empty spot.
    Thanks.

• mindysuewho
    15 years ago

I planted nasturiums by direct seeding a few years ago and have never had to plant them again. They just keep re-seeding in their poor soil. No fertilizer, very little water, no deadheading and not bothered by insects. The perfect annual as far as I'm concerned. The flowers and foilage are beautiful.

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

They are eazy to grow. But need warmth to germinate and move. I have planted some in FEB som in Mar. Only a few of them sofar have grown. I think my seeds were not good.

Nasturtiums don't like full sun, don't need to be fertilized, they like rain, overcast weather and are good cascaders. They are also considered herb and have cress like taste. Both flowers and leaves are edible , if you like peppery/mustardlike taste. They need lots of room to creep and can make good hanging baskets.
    I am planting some of them here and there.

• novice_2009
    15 years ago

I'm planting nasturtiums for the first time this year. Yes, there are directions on the packet, but that is a general guide. I hope my seeds are good, two different varieties and colors, one trailing like picture above(supposed to fill up empty spots in garden) and one upright in a bright red i just love. My seeds are from two different companies, and i'm planting them in two different locations. I'll let you know how they do. So they don't like full sun.hmmmm. Should they be soaked overnight? I did that with my onion seeds and got 100% germination. Also, if they are annuals, i'm wondering about the guy who planted them and never had to again?

• hosenemesis
    15 years ago

Hey Novice09,
    They reseed themselves, and you get great new color variations sometimes. That's why you don't have to replant in some climates.

I am totally in love with nasturtiums. I planted Milkmaid, Apricot Trifle, and Creamsicle this year and have flaming oranges, reds, and golds from last year's seeds. I plant them in full sun so they burn up in the summer, but what color!

They don't need to be pre-soaked. The only thing they hate is rich soil and fertilizer.
    Renee

• davemichigan
    15 years ago

Novice09, I didn't presoak mine either and they turned out fine. I believe almost all (if not all) of them germinated. The reason I know is because I planted them in evenly spaced rows/columns, and I didn't see any gap in between after they sprouted and grew.

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

They always do well for me and I also just put them in the soil without soaking them first. Except last year, I tried a creamy white climbing nasturtium and it was very late to germinate and thus bloomed late. Might not have had a sunny enough spot, though.

This year I'm going to try something different by planting nasturtiums with an avenue of DeGroots Spires, that is in between each shrub. Saw a similar planting in a garden online, and the flowers spilled out from between the spires and into the walkway. Not sure how difficult it will be to mow around, them because my walkway is grass.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

These look ok for Indian Princess Nasturtium seedlings? Any tips/suggestions?

{{gwi:4514}}

• novice_2009
    15 years ago

Thanks guys, i didn't know they were perennials. I read that it's best to sow them directly outdoors, and cover them, as they need darkness to germinate. Have you guys found that to be true? I think i'm gonna fall in love with them 2, after seeing those photos!

• noinwi
    15 years ago

I planted some in hanging pots last year in cheap potting soil and didn't fertilize, because I thought they preferred poor soil. I'm in an apartment so I don't have a garden bed available. They sprouted ok and had plenty of flowers(were in constant bloom), but the leaves stayed tiny, so they never really filled out the pots.

• amsgys7_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I live in Southern Az., and have read that Nasturtiums like the sun, and poor soil and little water. In these messages I am reading they do not like sun so much? I have a new arbor and want climbing Nasturtiums for it, they will mostly be in hot sun, and the arbor is metal. I'm not sure if I'm in zone 8 either. Would appreciate any help on this, as I think I should plant soon.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

It is certainly the received wisdom that nasturtiums like the conditions you describe. However, they grow rampantly and self sow in my vegetable garden with deep soil, lots of rain and many grey days. As noinwi said, to get lush foliage as well as flowers I believe they do need water.

I think you should start them immediately outdoors. My self sowers are already up over here. They will not actually climb without help. They grow long trailing stems which will scramble but may need directing and tying in. And they don't get much longer than 6 or so feet in my conditions so they may not reach the top of your arbour. Make sure you get a trailing traditional variety, not a bush one.

• erasmus_gw
    13 years ago

I love nasturtiums but the last two times I tried them the leaves were affected by some disease or fungus and looked ugly. Any idea what that could be or if it can be prevented?

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

Ah, nasturtiums, such cheery plants. I've direct sown them in the spring. They got the blazing afternoon sun but did fine. I have tried the Alaska mix and the Empress of India. This year I will try some different ones, St. Clement's and Vesuvius. Pick a few leaves and toss into your salad for a little peppery bite.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Put some of the flowers in that salad too. They taste different from the leaves. Add them at the last minute or they'll bruise.

• linda_msu
    13 years ago

I've been looking for a colorful edging flower for the last few weeks, and discovered Nasturtium Cherry Rose, which grow 6-12" high. Got them at Lowe's. I had no idea nasturtiums were self-sowing, what a nice surprise. Anyway, I've sown nasturtiums before, and got beautiful bright orange flowers (Empress of India, I think). FYI, mine were growing like crazy mid-summer thru Fall. At first I thought there were only leaves, but I simply trimmed away some of the leaves on each plant, only to find the most gorgeous flowers underneath! I love this plant. To "Novice" -- these are annual plants that self-sow, not perennials. By the way my favorite self-sowers are snapdragons -- they come back year after year. Thanks to everyone.

• pfgardener
    13 years ago

Maybe they're perennial in the south, but definitely not in Zone 7! They flower best in full sun in the cooler zones. In shade the leaves get huge, and fewer flowers. I plant so many, I do some In the ground when it's warm enough- same time I plant out tenders like basil and petunia. I put them 1/2" deep., and space 2 or 3 1" apart, then skip 3 or 4". I also start some in cells indoors under lights, not too early, and plantt them, out at tne same time, before they get too big. I make sure the hole is very wet, mud even, and give them another good soak once they're in to help the root settle. I I always get great results. I now garden in z5, and do the same thing, works like a charm year after year. If I start late, fuggeddabout it! They sulk, rarely really get going.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

pfgardener - people haven't said they are perennial. They are self sowing annuals - that's why some of us don't need to sow every year. Do you clear them away when they get frosted at the end of the season? That's when mine drop a lot of seed and then they reappear of their own accord every year.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting