Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelli563_gw

Trim back coleus?

shelli563
15 years ago

I have about 10 coleus plants that I took from cuttings in the fall. They are all growing well, but do I need to pinch or trim back to promote bushier plants or do I do this when they get transplanted outdoors in early summer?

Thanks

Shelli

Comments (4)

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

yes.

I have 30 or 40 in my house presently, and they are starting to get large & leggy. I'm taking another set of cuttings off them in the next few days when I get around to it, and putting them in water to have another batch.

I also have some here in my office at work, and I lob them off so there's nary a stick left in the cup, and they re-grow just fine- nice & bushy, but again, somewhat leggy here in this environment.

For the record, I also have a Magilla Perila (coleus cousin) which is very fond of being cut back and grows out new same as a coleus.

Dontcha just LOVE coleus?!
    (p.s. have you discovered Rosy Dawn Gardens (dot com) yet?)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

get a razor blade.. sterilized [or new].. an aluminum pot.. some sterilized potting media .. and a plastic bag

slice one inch below each node or group of leaves.. stick them in the pot with wetted media ... inserting so the leaf group is 1/4 inch above the soil ...

and make 2000 clones of your plants ...

one of the simplest plants to root...

and your timing is probably spot on to get them out of the house.. before you have to do it again ...

leave only one or two leaf groups on your original plants ... you ought to be able to see the tiny new leafs right where the leaf attaches to the stem ...

a rooting hormone like ROOTONE ... is probably not necessary on coleus ... but contains a fungicide.. which will help prevent problems ... so look for one with a fungicide.. nothing special with the brand name IMHO ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: microwave a baggie of media

• tangerine_z6
    15 years ago

Yes, trim away with abandon. The plant will quickly grow back into a lush specimen. I happen to love Rosy Dawn Gardens...wish I had more room to plant!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

its been 6 days.. i want to know how many of the trimmings already rooted .....

i think i forget to mention.. once you get a good new plant thriving... near the end of winter.. i would just throw out the original ....

they just get tired and unsalvageable .... and never seemed to thrive the second summer...

their job is done.. now that you made a bunch of clones ...

ken