Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marigold 'Snowball' Have you grown it?

Posted by tammyinwv z6/WV (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 3, 10 at 15:11

I just bought a pack from walmart. I know the pack says they are a hybrid, so i assume they wont come true from any seeds I save. Just wondered if they look as nice as they do on the pack, and if anyone has grown any from saved seed.
Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marigold 'Snowball' Have you grown it?

I haven't grown snowball but I have grown Vanilla another white. I wasn't too impressed but them to tell the truth. They are not as prolific in flowering as the yellows or the otheer colors. They just didn't turn my crank.

I have 3 small beds in front that I usually plant in Marigolds, because they are hot and dry and the marigolds thrive there. For the last 3 years I have planted several different heights and flower forms in yellow in those boxes and they put on a marvelous display. The long and short of it is that with so many to choose from, a white would have to match the rest to get my attention and they don't

o

Thanks oilpainter. My experience with other marigolds have been the same. They are tough plants. I was hoping the white would be just as nice.
Tammy

o

I grew an off-white one called "Snowman". I liked it. Once it started blooming, it had blooms til frost. I would grow them again. The only drawback was that after a rain I had to shake off the water-laden flowers so they wouldn't flop or break from the weight.

o

Tammy, be sure to let us know how you like it. I don't grow marigolds anymore, so I can judge for myself.

o

I will rhizo. Thanks everyone
tammy

o

Oh, they are as nice as they look on the pack. The flowers are very white, large and tightly packed with petals. The plant was well defined, bushlike and about 2-2 1/2 feet tall! They stalks were strong and needed no staking. I grew them two years ago and remember thinking, "How big are these things going to get?"

I did not save seeds so I cant help you there.

Lisa

o

Thanks Lisa, I cant wait to give them a try this yr.
Tammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here