Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noelladsa

Sprouting Coleus

noelladsa
10 years ago

I bought some Coleus seeds online and I've been trying to sprout them.

My current method of sprouting all seeds is by placing them between between wet paper towels and providing them with light or darkness depending on what the seed needs.

Is Coleus difficult to grow from seed? What have your experiences been?

Comments (7)

• ZQGardens
    10 years ago

This is my first time seeding coleus, and I have had no problems.

On 14 February, I sowed 150mg of coleus seed in a 72 cell seed starter (rectangular with the plastic lid) with moistened seed starting soil and set at a sunny window. Within a week or two, I had more sprouts than I could handle! They were so numerous, the surface of the soil appeared to be growing hairs. One month later, I have nearly 100 seedlings thriving. Attached is a photo taken today of one flat of 50 plants. The tiny leaves are already showing their distinctive coloration.

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

I wonder if you got a bad batch. I've always considered Coleus as an "easy starter". I'm not sure if they require it, but I always use light when starting mine and almost always get 95% germination...especially with new seed.

Since the seed is tiny, I start mine right on the soil mix, rather than using the paper towel method. Two seeds right on top, don't cover with soil and a plastic top to hold in humidity. Sprouts are usually starting in 7-10 days.

• noelladsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the tips! I think I need to wait for a few more days ;).Its only been four days.I have put them under an artificial CFL light, so they will hopefully show up.

And yes they are so tiny! Its been challenge.I've used just half a batch so I may use the other half in seed starter mix.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Not many of things sprout in 4 days - you are going to have to develop a little patience. I have some coleus that are ready to be divided and potted up individually. I think they took 8-10 days to sprout. I just sowed some Giant Exhibition Limelight, and Rustic Reds yesterday.I grew the Limelights last year and loved them. They are huge.

• noelladsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha - to the patience bit. You are right.

And today the seeds have sprouted!

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

For me coleus is one of the few plants that damp off. I suggest making sure they get good air circulation, YMMV.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

So many seed packs of Coleus over the years, and seeds saved from plants, but usually extremely few, if any, plants resulted. Coleus seeds are said to need light to germinate, (wish I'd know that decades earlier,) shouldn't be buried, and these volunteers that have showed up seem evidence of that. My plants have been blooming for a few months, and have apparently dropped seeds, I definitely didn't put any in this yard anywhere.

They're showing up in this area.