Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black-eyed Susan vines

Posted by mmegaera 8bWA 4Sunset (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 07 at 18:34

I adore them. I also have some hanging boxes on my patio that would be perfect for them. However, I tried to start them last year in peat pots on my windowsill and all I got was a couple of sprouts about five inches tall. They never went anywhere.

I haven't seen them in my local nurseries (except as huge $25 hanging baskets that I can't afford for a one-season plant) so I'd be starting them from seed. I'm willing to start them in the house. I have a south-facing window, but a very gloomy Pacific NW climate. Not willing to do a fancy light setup (I wintersow most of my seeds, but I understand these don't take to that). The house is kept fairly cool. Is that my problem?

Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black-eyed Susan vines

These are too tender for my area. When I lived on the coast I could grow them, but here the nights are too cold and I have given up. Al

o

That makes no sense Al....people have grown them from seed and have gotten beautiful blooming plants in zone 6! Do you mean you can't grow them as perennials where you are? Most sources say hardy to 9a.

Vera

o

I wondered if the cool summer nights here might be the problem. It doesn't stay above 60 here at night very often even in July and August.

Well, I'll give them one more try. I've already bought the seeds [g].

o

They will grow here as an annual but if you are used to growing them as a perennial they seem pretty wimpy and hardly worth the effort. Al

o

These have been a big disappointment to me both times I tried to grow them. I treat them as annual vines, and they never got more than two feet tall for me. I thought the flowers seemed much smaller than the photos in the catalogs made them look, too. The flowers also faded in the sun a bit.

I wish they would grow as a vigorous annual, and then they'd be worth it!

o

Here in Zone 6, New England I have successfully grown these from seeds. Some years I have had profuse growth and now that I think of it, some years not so profuse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here