Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idloveamocha

Pansy from seed: growth rate

idloveamocha
11 years ago

I started pansies (acquarelle mix) from seed in early February. They've seemed to do fairly well, but I have a question about growth rate. Seedlings are now in their own 3" fiber pots, and all have several sets of true leaves.

At this point, the plants are 2 to 3 inches in height. They look healthy...just small. I have no idea how large pansies must become to start blooming. Please see the picture.

In my area, many people begin putting pansies out in planters as early as mid-April. By the middle to end of May, they're fading. So, ideally I'd like to be able to harden them off in about 4~ish weeks.

Does this seem feasible?

Comments (21)

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

It certainly does sound feasible. Your pansies do have a bit of growing to do before they will bloom. Pansies are a spring flower and as such like it a bit cooler than other plants. Yours may not even start blooming until they are outside.

Pansies will also winter over so if you are planting them in planters move them to a flower bed after they are finished blooming and you'll have flowers for next year.. Deadheading will also make them bloom longer

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Hmm...........I didnt realize pansies were so slow. I have some that just sprouted. I assumed they grew much like violas, which I have grown before from seed and had blooming before they went outside. Dowlinggram - thanks for the cold temp tip. I'll be moving mine down to a lower/cooler shelf once they show true leaves.

• bugbite
    11 years ago

Both pansies and viola are slow for me from seed.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

your next quantum leap in seed growing.. indoors.. will be to move away from those God forsaken peat pots.. 6 oz solo cups would be so much easier.. and really help you maintain soil moisture ...

anyway ... they will bloom when they are mature enough to bloom.. and may be out of phase .... as compared to winter sown.. or store bought plants ...

if they dont die.. they will bloom ... so dont compare yours to 'forced' store bought plants.. its not a fair equation ...

also.. they should be fert'd.. perhaps 1/4 the recommended amount in every watering ... time to juice these babies up ... increase light also ....

and do you know all about hardening off house grown seedlings to the humorless mother nature??? ... just because they are a cold season plant.. doesnt mean you can just whip them outside ... ask if you dont know ...

good luck

ken

ps: next time.. consider trying half your seeds indoors.. and half in another method.. like winter sown ... just for the sake of experimenting ... it would have never crossed my mind to start these indoors....

• idloveamocha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@Ken...this is a legitimate, non-snarky question:

Why do you hate peat pots so much? I've seen you talk about this before. I've never had one problem with a peat pot. In fact, I prefer them because I will remove the bottom and plant directly in the garden. Works for me.

I've never had a fungus problem, or problems with plants wilting, etc.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    11 years ago

I think ken missed the follow up... so I will post why I don't like them.

Because they are porous, and very much so, lots of the moisture from your soil will be evaporated out of the side of the cup... You need to water way more increasing the chance of a perched water table or root rot.

They are hard to handle, especially when wet.

In my experience they don't break down enough to allow the roots to move through. Even cutting the bottom off you will find a huge root bound ball that can't get through the peat container. I do use them for very hard to transplant plants but I slice the sides at least 10 times.

Expensive.

Expensive.

Not worth the money.

A SASE stamp will procure all I have left.

• PRO
    Techi?q Limited
    7 years ago

I started mine indoors early April and its not bloomed yet, I hoping soon, maybe I'm giving them enough fertilizer, plus I am using sun lamp to hasten the growth.

• Portia Holliday
    7 years ago

I'm growing pansies and violas from seed and they're not growing, but alive. What was gleaned from your prior experience?

• idloveamocha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Portia, with mine it just took lots of time to get them established enough to take outside. The ones above did finally take off and I had them out by the middle of April. The next season, I started them about two weeks earlier, and they were blooming by the time I put them outside. I use grow lamps while they're indoors. I skip the heat mat, since they're cool weather bloomers.

• Portia Holliday
    7 years ago

I started them on my porch in early October. They germinate, but sat and are sitting. I germinated some inside in the dark with Hefty bag covers, but got to them too late and they stretched and died. Perhaps I'll bring them in under my grow light?

• idloveamocha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

IF they stretched, I am not sure you can do much to revive them. Give them a shot under grow lights, but those might be a bust. Unless they were big enough that you could pinch them back a bit and see if they'll bush out. Do you have a picture?

• Portia Holliday
    7 years ago

Yes trying to get iPhone to cooperate:)

• Portia Holliday
    7 years ago

• idloveamocha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Those just look tiny. What kind of media are you using? It's only been 4 weeks, and they can be slow.

• Portia Holliday
    7 years ago

Magic Soil

• Portia Holliday
    7 years ago

I planted them 9/1/16

• Portia Holliday
    7 years ago

It's been (8) weeks

• idloveamocha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmm, I am not familiar with Magic soil. I am thinking they might need a little boost of fertilizer.

• Portia Holliday
    7 years ago

Ok, I'll try that. I have lots of Espomas in my basement. Thank You!

• Portia Holliday
    7 years ago

I just added Tomato Miracle Grow fertilizer. I learned something. If plants are just living and not growing give them fertilizer:) Thank You, Idloveamocha.