Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How difficult are Heavenly Blue Morning Glories?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 08 at 19:31

I just bought some Heavenly Blue Morning Glory seeds, having seen a beautiful wall full at the Chicago Botanic Garden last fall. I dont usually sow seeds, have had little luck in the past, unless they are kinds known to be ridiculously easy. I was planning to use peat pellets: I understand they dislike transplanting. I do know about nicking the seed coat.

I came to the forum looking for info only to find that some people have had trouble with these! Oh no! Or they have grown but not flowered. How difficult are these? I consider myself a good gardener but not a good seed grower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How difficult are Heavenly Blue Morning Glories?

Morning glories are not that hard to grow from seed all the way to flower. It is true they dislike transplanting so your idea of using peat pellets is good. I nicked the seed on my seeds using a sharp kitchen knife. The coat is very hard. Chip enough coat off the expose the lighter color endosperm of the seed. Next I soak my seeds over night in room temperature water. The next day you will see some activity in the seed. The beginning of cotyledon. Press them into the peat pot and keep at moderate temp of about 65-70 degrees. They should sprout in about 5-10 days.

Morning glories need lots of sun to produce a inpressive bloom display. They only need moderate fertilization. If you add compost and a quality fertilizer balanced fertilizer you should have booms starting in late med to late June through the first frost.

Good luck

o

take a few of the seeds .... rub them on a nail file ... and just plant them outdoors where you want them .... the seeds winter over in my z5 ... they wont be as early as indoor started plants .... but then there is no transplant issue ...

and try some indoors ...

one or the other method should work .. a failsafe ...

in the yard.. i have dozens where the plant was last year.. at the two leaf stage.. on a cloudy or rainy spring day .. i move them all over the yard ....many live.. no clue how many die ... never took that close a study to know ...

good luck

ken

o

Im happy to know they are so easy, as Im rotten (literally) at seeds. Indoors they all die, even with peat pellets or sterile media, etc. I have very limited space for seeds inside so only plan to try indoors for things I REALLY want, and these are it. Right now the potted dahlia tubers sprouting take up all the space. Direct sowing outside has not worked either, except for nasturtiums and green beans. But plants that seed themselves readily, now those I have luck with (like columbines)!

I will take your advice and try both indoors and out to cover my bases. Packet says start 6-8 weeks early, that seems like a lot: to plant out mid May I should start them around now.

o

IMHO .. peat pots are the absolutely WORST thing to use in the house in winter ...

one day too wet.. one day too dry ... its a furnace thing with my house ...

use plastic pots in the house ...

do this exactly .. and hope i don't leave anything out...lol ...

get a nail file.. paper ones work better ... one sheet of paper towel .... folded in quarters ... coffee cup saucer.. and a plastic bag it fits in ...

and a couple plastic cups ... and a razor blade ...

scrape the seed on the file ... go ALMOST all the way through the black coat ... try not to file the inside ... lay 1/2 of them inside the paper towel .. onto the saucer ... wet but not puddled.. insert in bag.. put on top of fridge.. check every day or two ... they will sprout within a week ...

in the mean time.. get 6oz plastic cups at the grocer... take razor.. bottom edge ... slice 3 [1/2] inch cuts .. for drainage.... dampen some medium.. fill cups... put into a box of some kind to keep them from tipping... bread tin ... cookie box.. whatever ... something you can make a greenhouse out of ...

when the seeds JUST BARELY begin to emerge... make a [2] 1/4 inch hole in the medium.. 2 seeds per cup ... barely cover.. tamp gently .... so the roots will go down without forcing the seed out .... put in bright.. but not direct sun ... and they will be ready to go outside in 6 weeks ...

1/4 strength water fert [1/4 teaspoon per milk gallon] with every watering ...

the other half of seeds ... file ... 1/2 of them then into the soil around 5/1 .... and the other half around 5/15 ... in case the first get frosted ...

i think the covers it.. ken

o

Peat pots are fine for the short period of time that morning glories will be indoors.

I would not start morning glories no earlier that 3-4 weeks before you plan to set them out. They are a very fast growing plant so if you start too seen ....well you will have to keep cutting them back to keep them under control.

o

my first response was "not difficult enough" I'm in zone 5, and found that two years of morning glories resulted in 4 years of pesky reseeding. Those seeds must have a hardy half life, because they pop up and pop up and pop up under the fence where they were originally planted, in the tomatoes where they find a ready made climbing structure. I'm not saying don't plant them, but get to know their distinctive set of primary leaves so you can get 'em out next spring.

o

just put the paper towel into the baggie.. and on top of the saucer ...

first stage leaves are extremely unique ... and very susceptible to roundup ...

if i am going to have problem seeder in the yard ... this one will be a favorite ...

ken

o

I bought a small Heavenly Blue morning glory plant at a garden center for $2. It didn't start to flower until mid/late summer, but the vines grew very quickly. This is just one morning glory and one moon flower plant. I'm not sure that I will plant Morning Glory again because it just completely took over.
Morning Glory I

Morning Glory II

Morning Glory III

o

Kristin....those pics are fabulous!....ive grown heavenly blues also and they are so easy.....put the seed in the ground.....keep moist and up they come.....but as you said.....they bloom later in the summer.....
there are some varieties of morning glories that bloom earlier in a variety of beautiful colors...

carol

o

I planted Heavenly Blue for the first time last year. I discovered the seeds in late May, so I just put them in the ground (no nicking, soaking) around my front lawn light in just average soil. They germinated quite quickly (6 days), covered the light post and produced the most beautiful blooms I've ever had from MG's. They didn't start blooming until August because I direct sowed late, but you should have a great showing if they have ahead-start indoors. They bloom through to the last frost. Good luck.

o

I would catagorize Morning Glories as ridiculously easy, especially if you plant them outside. I have even scooped up and relocated volunteer seedlings with no problem.

I love them.

o

Those are beautiful pictures. I just soak overnight and direct sow. I have had some reseeding by other morning glories but never from Heavenly Blue. Has anyone experienced this? It irritates me when people dis all types of one plant because one type is a reseeder. I have to confess it also irritates me when people complain about reseeding. You either have free plants or a tiny bit of work pulling seedlings? What is the problem?

o

Jackied164--I have found the same thing to be the case about Heavenly Blue: it doesn't reseed. I wish it would, but it just doesn't for me. I made the mistake of growing the Grandpa Ott variety, however, which reseeds like CRAZY! I think it's a weed, frankly. I kept thinking those little viney seedlings were Heavenly Blue and tried transplanting them to my porch columns and other good places, but they were all Grandpa Ott. Grandpa won't leave me alone. I have to sympathize with others who complain, because by the time I notice Gramps, he's entwined himself into my switchgrass, my roses, my juniper, my daisies, etc., and then I have to disentangle him. Pain in the butt.

o

Thanks for the warning about Grandpa Ott! I liked the color in the store but decided I wanted the blue instead, having actually seen that one. It's good to be forewarned if something is pesky.

o

I'm planning on direct sowing my Heavenly Blue this year as of this afternoon.
Last year however (my first with MG), I used the wintersow method to start Star of Yelta and Sunrise Serenade in mid April.
They transplanted just fine! Please ignore my crude attempt at a last minute trellis LOL! It looked much better covered.
May 6th....
Star of Yelta Morning Glory
June 17th..about a month after tranplanting...
Photobucket
July 10th..
Photobucket
July 30th..
Photobucket

o

I have always gotten best results with simple direct seeding in the garden - no nicking, no filing, no soaking, just plant the seeds and provide water.

This year I want to grow some convulvulus for window boxes, and I will start those indoors, probably in peat pellets.

o

Kristin, your morning glories are spectacular! How wonderful!

I tried Heavenly Blue one year. They were in too much shade, so they did only so-so, but no reseeding for me.

On the other hand - Star of Yelta! Yikes! It could probably give Grandpa a run for his money, lol! Now I leave a few reseeders but make sure to deadhead. They are on an arbor near the back door so it's easy to just pick off the dead blooms when I come home from work, etc.

I'm trying Heavenly Blue again this year. I haven't started them yet because I'm moving around the arbor they will go on and haven't done that yet.

Linnea, if you have limited indoor space, and consider yourself rotten at starting seeds, give winter sowing a try. I never started many things for the same reasons you gave, and now that I wintersow I have hundreds of containers of seedlings outside.

Good luck!
:)
Dee

o

Ive wanted to try winter sowing but so far it hasnt happened. I even bought containers for it (foil trays) but they were "harvested" for other uses and disappeared. Id have to hide them in the yard (which is not big enough or shrubby enough to really hide something), as DH would find them unsightly, which creates more issues. I wont go into that.

Thanks Kristin and Vera for the pictures. Very helpful, both as motivators and for recognizing the stages. The seedling leaf pictures especially: those ARE some odd leaves.

o

Heavenly Blues are a bit touchy for me. And Grandpa Otts well... they do take over. I found a nice alternative to Heavenly blue: Ipomoea indica or blue dawn flower. The flowers are smaller than Heavenly blue but they bloom earlier in the season and are less fussy.

o

I planted H.B. morning glories this summer and I have a vine that's thick, green and healthy but NO FLOWERS. I've tried fertilizing it, watering it a lot, etc. and not a single bloom. It's October in Philadelphia now so I'm guessing that chances for flowers are not good, I just can't figue out what's wrong.

o

Hi Zach, welcome to Gardenweb!

Only water if wilting.

For fertilizer for seasonal, blooming plants, the middle number should be higher than the other two when blooms are expected. A few weeks ago, switching could have helped if you are using an even-numbered one, or one with the first or last number being higher than the others.

I don't use packaged fertilizer except for container plants. Sounds like your plants are in the ground? Banana peels seem to work amazingly well for inducing blooms for all of the plants I've tried it on. Just bury slightly, near base of plant. Mother nature will handle it from there. Grandma's tip was offered in regard to roses, but bloomers of all types seem to also respond.

o

over loved ....

i have them growing on the neighbors fence.. for about 15 years now..

in sand.. no amending.. no water.. no nothing.. and they have reseeded themselves for 14 seasons ...

they are plants.. not children.. heck.. i dont even treat my kids as well as you treated this thing.. lol ...

ANYTHING that favors green lush growth.. over proper flowering.. is either in too much shade.. [of which MG is full blinding sun] ...

or HYPER FERTILIZED...

next year.. plant them somewhere else ... and do nothing but water then at transplant or early spring.. and then only in drought in summer ..

even better.. if you could find seed packs now.. plant them now.. and mark the area ..

ken

o

H'mmm ...I planted some earlier this year. Plus some moonflowers. Soaked them over night first. A few sprouted but then died. I was trying to grow them in a large already planted porch pot with a decorative trellis: I wanted something to twine up the trellis. A few I put in the ground. It was mid summer and an afterthought. I figured it was too hot for them to be started then. I still have the rest of the packet. I had not thought of planting them in the fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here