Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

How difficult are Heavenly Blue Morning Glories?

I just bought some Heavenly Blue Morning Glory seeds, having seen a beautiful wall full at the Chicago Botanic Garden last fall. I donÂt usually sow seeds, have had little luck in the past, unless they are kinds known to be ridiculously easy. I was planning to use peat pellets: I understand they dislike transplanting. I do know about nicking the seed coat.

I came to the forum looking for info only to find that some people have had trouble with these! Oh no! Or they have grown but not flowered. How difficult are these? I consider myself a good gardener but not a good seed grower.

Comments (64)

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

I'm planning on direct sowing my Heavenly Blue this year as of this afternoon.
    Last year however (my first with MG), I used the wintersow method to start Star of Yelta and Sunrise Serenade in mid April.
    They transplanted just fine! Please ignore my crude attempt at a last minute trellis LOL! It looked much better covered.
    May 6th....
    {{gwi:4968}}
    June 17th..about a month after tranplanting...
    {{gwi:4970}}
    July 10th..
    {{gwi:4972}}
    July 30th..
    {{gwi:4974}}

• OKMoreh
    16 years ago

I have always gotten best results with simple direct seeding in the garden - no nicking, no filing, no soaking, just plant the seeds and provide water.

This year I want to grow some convulvulus for window boxes, and I will start those indoors, probably in peat pellets.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Kristin, your morning glories are spectacular! How wonderful!

I tried Heavenly Blue one year. They were in too much shade, so they did only so-so, but no reseeding for me.

On the other hand - Star of Yelta! Yikes! It could probably give Grandpa a run for his money, lol! Now I leave a few reseeders but make sure to deadhead. They are on an arbor near the back door so it's easy to just pick off the dead blooms when I come home from work, etc.

I'm trying Heavenly Blue again this year. I haven't started them yet because I'm moving around the arbor they will go on and haven't done that yet.

Linnea, if you have limited indoor space, and consider yourself rotten at starting seeds, give winter sowing a try. I never started many things for the same reasons you gave, and now that I wintersow I have hundreds of containers of seedlings outside.

Good luck!
    :)
    Dee

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

IÂve wanted to try winter sowing but so far it hasnÂt happened. I even bought containers for it (foil trays) but they were "harvested" for other uses and disappeared. IÂd have to hide them in the yard (which is not big enough or shrubby enough to really hide something), as DH would find them unsightly, which creates more issues. I wonÂt go into that.

Thanks Kristin and Vera for the pictures. Very helpful, both as motivators and for recognizing the stages. The seedling leaf pictures especially: those ARE some odd leaves.

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

Heavenly Blues are a bit touchy for me. And Grandpa Otts well... they do take over. I found a nice alternative to Heavenly blue: Ipomoea indica or blue dawn flower. The flowers are smaller than Heavenly blue but they bloom earlier in the season and are less fussy.

• zachdaddy
    10 years ago

I planted H.B. morning glories this summer and I have a vine that's thick, green and healthy but NO FLOWERS. I've tried fertilizing it, watering it a lot, etc. and not a single bloom. It's October in Philadelphia now so I'm guessing that chances for flowers are not good, I just can't figue out what's wrong.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hi Zach, welcome to Gardenweb!

Only water if wilting.

For fertilizer for seasonal, blooming plants, the middle number should be higher than the other two when blooms are expected. A few weeks ago, switching could have helped if you are using an even-numbered one, or one with the first or last number being higher than the others.

I don't use packaged fertilizer except for container plants. Sounds like your plants are in the ground? Banana peels seem to work amazingly well for inducing blooms for all of the plants I've tried it on. Just bury slightly, near base of plant. Mother nature will handle it from there. Grandma's tip was offered in regard to roses, but bloomers of all types seem to also respond.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

over loved ....

i have them growing on the neighbors fence.. for about 15 years now..

in sand.. no amending.. no water.. no nothing.. and they have reseeded themselves for 14 seasons ...

they are plants.. not children.. heck.. i dont even treat my kids as well as you treated this thing.. lol ...

ANYTHING that favors green lush growth.. over proper flowering.. is either in too much shade.. [of which MG is full blinding sun] ...

or HYPER FERTILIZED...

next year.. plant them somewhere else ... and do nothing but water then at transplant or early spring.. and then only in drought in summer ..

even better.. if you could find seed packs now.. plant them now.. and mark the area ..

ken

Original Author
    10 years ago

H'mmm ...I planted some earlier this year. Plus some moonflowers. Soaked them over night first. A few sprouted but then died. I was trying to grow them in a large already planted porch pot with a decorative trellis: I wanted something to twine up the trellis. A few I put in the ground. It was mid summer and an afterthought. I figured it was too hot for them to be started then. I still have the rest of the packet. I had not thought of planting them in the fall.

• yerfdog1940
    8 years ago

Morning glories Don't give them any food.They need bad soil to bloom.I grow them into a small tree.All they need a little water.H Blue is the best to grow.I start them in a pot made of newpaper. When they grow a little plant pot and all.Full Sun.Agan if you give them food all you will get is a big vine with no flower.They don't reseed like other morning glories.I put on fences and forget them.They start blooming 1st Aug till frost.London,Ky Cars will stop to see the flower.Good Luck

• Deborah Nash
    8 years ago

Once you get them going outside in a sunny spot where they can climb, you might find it suits them to be ignored. Only water them if its extra hot and dry, and skip the fertilizer altogether. Otherwise you might end up with tons of big bushy leaves and very few flowers.

• snuu
    7 years ago

My experience is that Heavenly Blue is very hard to grow, and it is very sad. I love that true blue color. I have a ton of Grandpa Ott's, but I don't care: they are easy to pull, and they are lovely. Heck, even now they are gorgeous on my dead sunflower stalks.. I am letting them stand just because of the morning glories.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    7 years ago

I transplant morning glories, with no discernable negative effects .

• northerner_on
    7 years ago

I have been growing Heavenly Blue for several years. I just direct sow them and grow them in a large pot with an obelisk and have no problems. Each year they outgrow my obelisk and grow on whatever they can find. This year it was the roof of my shed, but they were still beautiful.

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

I know this has been a while, but my HB's were started by soaked seed a bit late here in Central Texas. They are not in a very large pot, but are thrving. They did bloom from the bottom once or twice before the heat set in. It is now July, so expecting little in the way of bloom. They vine is fabulous tho, and I wondered if they might re-bloom in the cooler temps in the fall? Does anybody in this neck of the woods have info on that?

• raingreen
    6 years ago

HBs should bloom well in Texas when the weather cools off. Blooms mostly in winter in the tropics.

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

Thank you..I hope they will...they are so beautiful now...even without blooms.

• jacburkett
    6 years ago

The old fashioned blue morning glory--I buy several packages because they're so inexpensive, and just sow them along my stockade fence. I make sure to keep the soil damp and then they come up fairly quickly. I thin them out using a cereal spoon, making sure I go deep enough to get the roots and then I quickly grab the whole thing and gently squeeze it, cupping it, so the little plant doesn't just flop over and come out of the dirt- then I immediately plant it. I place them in various places like on trellises around the yard. A few times throughout the years I've purchased packages of the blue only to have them flower in pink. I think someone mentioned having lots of pretty vines but no flowering --that's probably because they're getting too much nitrogen either from fertilizer or may have been added to the compost or soil... this year I was late getting my seeds out so they're just now coming up mid July. I purchased two of a beautiful deep purple from Ace Hardware- The wonderful bunnies in my yard ate one, and here is a pic of the remaining one. I don't know what it's officially called but I do like it ! Not sure you can make it out but can you see the deep red running through?

• jacburkett
    6 years ago

Oops!! didn't mean to make the picture so big!

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I’m trying the Heavenly Blues again. Last year at this time I nicked the seeds, then planted outside to hopefully twine on an antique garden gate. Then I left town for 2 weeks, so they had no water or any other care til I came back. I returned find them sprouted. They did really well, and made a beautiful display that lasted til frost.

This year I’ve tried twice. Over a month ago, I filed the seeds with a needle file, as I found it very hard to nick those hard and slippery seed coats with even a serrated knife. Then soaked overnight and planted. Nothing.

2 weeks ago I tried again, this time just soaking. Still nothing. Weather is much cooler than last year, but it’s still summer, and I think it should be warm enough for them to germinate.

I guess I just need to leave town…..

• snuu
    6 years ago

Jacburkett- I think what you have there is Grandpa Ott's.. I have NO problem with this one... it seeds a lot, but is not a pain to me since you can pull what you don't want. But alas, the Heavenly Blue eludes me. I did plant a couple plants, and I will see if they bloom.... if memory serves me right, they bloomed SUPER late for me last summer, I think August. I'll be darned, though: I just can't get them from seed.

• mreed18
    6 years ago

I saw a mature morning glory planting outside my doctor's office and fell in love. His staff invited me to take some cuttings from the plant to take home. I did so and planted them in 2 large pots on my apartment patio. This was in July 2017. They took off like jet planes and have covered my patio railing. None of the beautiful blue flowers yet, but I am happy with waiting and just enjoying the incredible growth. I am posting a picture so you can see them if you like. The picture also answers the question of whether morning glories can be grown well in pots.

This is just 2 months of growth!!!

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

It's kinda hard to tell from the photo..but are your leaves really pale? That's how mine look right now..although they are rampantly taking over the porch from a smallish pot. I had them blooming in the spring one year in this pot, and didn't think they would take our 100 degree plus summer so I didn't put them in anything larger...but these started from seeds seemed to do alright...although they need copious amounts of water. I am wondering if you fertilize at all? I am not sure what to do, as I'd heard they prefer poor soil.

• mreed18
    6 years ago

No, the leaves are not at all pale. I protected them from hundred-degree heat at first with a screen, but then I just left them without protection. There was much leaf wilting, but they recovered nicely once the sun went down. Also, growth is now so copious that some of the leaves shade others. As far as water is concerned, so far my plants require up to two gallons of water every day or two in each of the two pots. I find that amazing but true. I recently purchased a Miracle Grow fertilizer that is formulated to promote blooming (much phosphorus in it) and have used it twice. The soil I used (also MG) says it has 6 months worth of fertilizer already in it by the way. I feel it is way too early to conclude anything about the lack of blooms, and reading the experience of others on this forum makes me feel very patient. The plant it came from was bursting with beautiful blooms, so the genetics are there anyway.

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

Ok..but I'd back off the fertilizer if I were you...I'd love to hear back on this, It is the temperature they are waiting on for blooms, or what stops them when it heats up. At least that has been my experience. I started them from seed this year really late....got two blooms right of the bat, then nothing. They really hung in for the summer tho, so hopefully they will produce blooms in the Fall. i am not intending to fertilize them with phosphorus or anything really. My newer leaves seem to be more green this late, so perhaps the heat was contributing to their pale color. It would be interesting to experiment in your case with and without the additional fer. I myself wouldn't do it, especially if its in the potting mix. Let us hear back I will report back too with the minimalist approach results.

• mreed18
    6 years ago

Okay. The hint of paleness you may have seen in my picture is from some tree branches with yellowing leaves that are behind the morning glories. Also, when I was growing hibiscus plants, I used high-potassium to make the bloom like crazy. I had these flowering plants in pots for over 40 years. I have pictures of them if anybody is interested.

• northerner_on
    6 years ago

Many years ago when I started growing Heavenly Blue, I remember being advised (don't remember by whom) not to fertilize any MG varieties. The idea was that fertilizers would produce a vine with lots of leaves and fewer flowers. I have always followed that advice, grown my Heavenly blue in a large pot, sow in early June, and get first blooms in late August through to frost. I do ,however, fertilize everything else that I grow in pots.

• mreed18
    6 years ago

Yes, I have heard all that:. "Crappy soil with no fertilizer." "Treat it like a weed and it will grow like a weed". On the other hand, some folks say just the opposite. With a degree in botany, I can't help thinking that a plant that can thrive under poor conditions will do better under more ideal ones. Ideal may be just a little fertilizer and just modestly rich soil that drains fairly well. What IS clear from reading other folk's postings is that nobody knows for sure what is best. The best Heavenly Blues I have seen around here are vines that have matured over several years and are in full sunlight all day. These flower profusely for many months. I get a lot of sunlight, but not all day. (By the way, I live in Davis, CA which is close to Sacramento.)

Anyway, I love the incredible thick, dark leafy vines that you can almost see growing second by second. That's a lucky thing for me because my setup will have any flowers facing mostly on the outside of my patio fence where I cannot enjoy them fully anyway.

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

I have a feeling Davis may be different intensity of heat than borderline west Tejas. Anyway...that's why I suggested experimenting since you have more than one pot..and the same conditions, you could see what works in your situation. And you have shade from trees..mine is in full south sun on the porch..no shade whatsoever, and way to small a pot I am surprised they are covering the eaves like they are. Wonderful plant really hoping to get some real info on them. I am a 30 yr landscape/nursery person myself. Think MG on MG's not what I'd recommend no matter what the requirement would be. Too much salt in that formula, among other reasons.

• mreed18
    6 years ago

I will post if I get any flowers. Be good. Nice "talking" with you.

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

OH BOY!!! A little more than a month later..and my Mornin Glories are covered with blooms and buds!!! Today topped in the 70's so hopefully we are out of summer now! How are yours doin Mreed?

• snuu
    6 years ago

jaceymae- This spring, I bought three pots of morning glory plants from a nursery in town. ($3.99 each, grumble grumble...) I was SO shocked and pleased to FINALLY get a couple blooms maybe late September/early October? Then nothing. This morning, I had a miserable fight with my daughter (22). After dropping her off at class, I drove home on this really dismal day here in CT, pulled in my driveway, and there was a pristine, blue morning glory blooming. I said out loud, Thank you, God. I think He knew I needed a little cheering up today.

• snuu
    6 years ago

I'm going to throw this out there for what it's worth: a FB friend, who is an artist and gardener, posted amazing pics of his morning glories. Different types. I asked him what his secret is. This is what he does: He plants a few seeds in 6 inch pots. He feels they like to be crowded. He says he DOES fertilize with Miracle Gro, but for only the first part of summer, then he stops. He says they then start to bloom like crazy. He sets the pots (terra cotta, by the way) on the ground and puts up trellises behind them.

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

oh, yeah..I forgot that was one of our questions. I resisted the urge to fertilize AT ALL...and still these three, also grown from seed late last Spring, were crawling bloomless all over the eaves of my house. They remain in the tiny little pot, maybe 8 inches diam. And the blooms are HUGE...and clear blue with a white center. They are truly the most cheerful things, and are blooming all day now. I am so happy I didn't give up on them in the summer. How they survived that long spell over 100 is a mystery! So I think we can rule out any need for fertilizer, however next year I will do a bigger pot!

• snuu
    6 years ago

I think that for whatever reason, the Heavenly Blue ones just take MUCH longer to bloom. My Grandpa Ott's bloom much, much sooner.

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

In Texas they are started from seed EARLY and probably kept indoors during late freezes..then they bloom pretty readily..I think it is the heat that is the deterrent, although I've never tried Grandpa Ott. Do you have pix?

• snuu
    6 years ago

Take a look at jacburkett's pic above. (In this thread.) That's Grandpa Ott's, a lovely, DEEP purple. But be forewarned: they do self-sow quite readily (unlike Heavenly Blue for me!) But it doesn't bother me. I just pull what I don't want.

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

Beautiful!

• jackied164 z6 MA
    6 years ago

I posted on this thread many years ago. First time growing heavenly blue in years and was late to flower (vs weedy Grandpa Ott) but awesome.

• snuu
    6 years ago

jackied164 -- SO lovely, I am jealous. I usually only have a couple open at a time.

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

jackie...are these in the ground? Or pots...?..also where are you, time of year..and did you use fertilizer? They are beautiful..mine are getting to this point, but my leaves are much paler.

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

OK..This is a year later. Started new pot..much larger. Wondered if anyone knew how many seeds per pot to let grow for just one pot maybe 24"x24"? I have several reaching up about an inch now...:)

Original Author
    6 years ago

At least you have germination! That's more than I have had last 2 years. You are starting indoors? I would start enough to have one plant every 4 inches. My daughter grew them last year and was afraid hers wouldn't germinate, based on my experience. She direct sowed them heavily in her window boxes. They all seemed to germinate, but not at the same time. They looked very full at about that spacing (beginner's luck?)

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

oh..IT's SOOO easy to germinate...put them in a coffee filter and cover with water..I use little custard cups. By day two they all should be showing white bits. I've had some not rotting that way and continuing to be viable for maybe 10 days? I have so many coming up in that first pot..I just want the optimum amount without overcrowding them. Last year I had only 3 seeds in a really small pot...a miracle they did anything. But by fall as I started late they covered my front porch eave and were just beautiful. No fertilizer, just water to keep them alive.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked jaceymae
  • snuu
    6 years ago

I think the 4 inch spacing should be fine. In my experience, the Heavenly Blue seem to grow much slower than, say, Grandpa Ott's. The last two summer, I bought small plants of Heavenly Blue, and they didn't bloom 'til quite late, like October!! It's sad b/c they usually end up getting killed by the first frost.

Original Author
    6 years ago

jaceymae. so far I have only direct sowed them outdoors after an overnight soak. I had not thought about just starting them on a towel. Did you soak them too, or is the damp towel enough?

I have not started seeds in pots for years. All my window space is taken up with overwintering plants as it is. But surely, I could find space for a couple of small pots, to be able to have Heavenly Blues???

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

No, don't use a towel..get a coffee filter, easier to handle..and put your seeds in it. Drop the whole thing into a shallow dish like a custard cup and cover with water. Let them soak there until they show some white bits. I pour off the water the next day and pour fresh water over them, but I use the same filter. I've had some in a filter for a week or more, and they are still good to go. But they are no longer in water, just the damp filter. In that case it's like a damp towel. But I'd start them COVERED in water for more than a couple of days. I'm sure you'll have great success as I did, unless the seeds are old. And you will know in a couple of days, I promise you.

I just noticed looking at that pot, the new leaves make it look like dragon flies hovering..and I have it with the most beautiful little day lily tuft. Even now they are gorgeous to me! Just get a well draining good potting soil. You can set them out in the ground if you want once they have rooted well, but pots are so much easier to control, imo.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked jaceymae
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the further details! I am determined to have better luck this year.

• jaceymae
    6 years ago

LOL..I kept editing it to make sure that you do!