Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I cut Dusty Miller plants?

Posted by burry 7 Maryland (ctcwash@verizon.net) on
Sun, Mar 29, 09 at 21:20

My Dusty Millers have made it through the winter. Should I cut them back now and how much? They look pretty bad.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I cut Dusty Miller plants?

when in doubt .... wait until you see new growth.. and then cut above such ...

ken

o

I asked this same question last year - also in MD - I cut off the ulgy parts - I was brutal - and they filled out nicely. I also cut and moved some - they also were fine.

o

If the root system is healthy, cutting back that old growth is not going to hurt anything but instead you'll get new bright growth. My neighbor had some.They looked very ugly. About a month or so ago I said to him "why don't you cut them back?" He was hesitant at first but he finally decided to trim them. Now they are healtier,bushier and shinier greenish silver.

o

Mine also survived the winter here..shocking I know and with no mulch to boot. Every year I lose some snapdragons while others come back leaps and bounds, but never imagined Dusty Miller would survive :O
I just cut mine back after new growth started and they are doing just fine :)

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here