Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sortaorganic

VINCA'S / leggy seedlings

SortaOrganic
11 years ago

We tried Vinca's the first time last year, and really liked them. We decided to start from seed this year since we had "plenty" of room with the modified light stand...... looks like I will be adding a third tier of lights! We followed the germination instructions and placed the tray in a black plastic bag. The stated germination period was 1 to 2 weeks. Checked it at 6 days and they were already 2" tall. The few seeds that came up after they were moved under the lights are about 1" tall. Can I plant the taller ones lower in the dirt like you would a pepper, when I move them from the starter tray to the 3" pot? Or does it make any difference? Guess I wil pay closer attention next year. Germination was over 96%.

Comments (13)

• mandolls
    11 years ago

My experinece is - If you transplant while they are young (first true leaves) you can plant pretty much anything as deep as the cotyledon leaves without a problem.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I'd be wary of this with Catharanthus. They can be a bit touchy when it comes to transplanting. Those lower leaves need to be high and dry. Worthy of a try, but I'd not hold my breath.

(You are talking about Catharanthus roseus, right? Not the 'real' Vinca major or minor?)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

NO! DO NOT plant vinca seedlings deeper - it's rot waiting to happen, annual vinca rot very easily if planted too deep and/or soil is too moist.

I would make sure the lights are only about 1-2" above the top of the leaves. They are getting leggy because they are reaching for light, so make sure the lights are right above the leaves.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

mxk3, fyi, these vincas aren't annuals. They are tender perennials. I've had one for 3 years now, and a couple of others are more than a year old. It hasn't gotten cold enough to kill it, and it's blooming right now.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

Are they Catharanthus roseus? If so, that is the vinca to which I am referring. It is annual in my zone (and we are on the annuals forum...); I do believe it is a perennial in warmer zones (not sure which zones, though).

There are other types of vinca which are true perennials in my zone.

If you're growing Catharanthus - I stand behind my advice. Do not bury stems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Catharanthus roseus aka vinca

This post was edited by mxk3 on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 14:55

• mandolls
    11 years ago

I havent grown them - so maybe best to ignore my advice. I havent had an issue with a variety of other seedlings being transplanted deeper, but Rhizo & mxk3 sound like voices of experience.

11 years ago

Because this plant (Catharanthus) is so often used AS AN ANNUAL, it is very commonly called "annual vinca " to differentiate it from the perennial, woody vines Vinca minor and Vinca major.

It's helpful to remember that many plants commonly referred to as annuals are not true annuals. A plant can't be a perennial in a warm climate and an annual in Michigan. It's simply a tender perennial that
    serves AS a useful annual.

We're all on the same page, clearly. It can be confusing sometimes. But it is clear to me that mxk is talking about Catharanthus when using the term "annual vinca ".

• SortaOrganic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies! These are not "major" or "minor" the vine type, just an annual in our area because of the winter temps. The "leggy issue" was because they germinated in about 1/3 of the time the package said to expect, and grew tall in the bag searching for light. They started greening up within 24 hrs of being put under the lights which we try to keep as close as we can. None of them have wilted or appear to be under duress. I understand it was not an ideal start, just wanted to know if I could lower them when I transplant to offset the height difference. I will pay much closer attention next year! First year growing flowers from seed, and it's like learning how to garden all over! I have Carnations, Vinca's, trailing Petunia's, Impatiens and Zinnia's.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

"A plant can't be a perennial in a warm climate and an annual in Michigan. It's simply a tender perennial that
    serves AS a useful annual."

Are you a lawyer? LOL!

• Edie
    11 years ago

For next year: The bag is unnecessary if the seeds are covered by potting mix. The mix keeps enough light out. This is my second year growing annual vinca aka Catharanthus roseus. I didn't use the black plastic and they came up fine both years.

11 years ago

Yep, the black bag was your undoing. I don't use plastic of any kind unless the seeds require sunlight in order to germinate...that's when it's a good idea to create a humid environment during the germination period.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

mxk3, yes, that's what I have, that's a perennial, not an annual. An annual is a plant that blooms for a season, then goes to seed and dies. These do go to seed, I have a pot of white ones that have just sprouted, and the parent plants are still in bloom. They are tender perennials, but most people think of them as annuals. I did, too, until they didn't die over last winter, and are still going strong. I also have impatiens that survived the winter (with help, I brought them indoors when it got too cold), so I guess that they are tender perennials, too.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

We're arguing semantics - these are tender perennials treated as annuals in my zone; therefore, they are referred to as annuals up here.

Which makes the case for using botanical names, not common names :0)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022