Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with common sunflowers and Giant Mexican Sunflowers

Posted by reemy 9 - Cen FL (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 1:15

I'm having similar leaf problems with both common sunflowers and Giant Mexican Sunflowers. Leaves are turning yellow in patches, then those same areas become brown and shriveled.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Helianthus annuus - Problem became noticable about three weeks ago and has since progressed.

Tithonia diversifolia - Problem became noticable about two weeks ago and has rapidly progressed.

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with common sunflowers and Giant Mexican Sunflowers

You have some form of fungal disease--It may be blight.

I do know that the first line of defense is to remove all the infected leaves. You then need a fungicide and I can't advise you there either. When watering try not to get the leaves wet.

Most leaf diseases spread the same way. Water splashes on the infected leaf, which splashes on to an uninfected leaf. The water carries the spores of the disease to the new leaf and it becomes infected. Eventually the whole plant dies. In addition some diseases live in the soil.

In that case you have to solarize the soil by putting black plastic on it and let the sun kill it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but maybe you can get rid of it if you are vigilant

o
RE: Problem with common sunflowers and Giant Mexican Sunflowers

Thanks for the info. Even if it's bad news, I'm happy to get the input.

I'll remove the affected leaves today (though the plants may not survive, as the disease seems present on most leaves) and look into the other treatment options.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here