Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

zinnia seed recommendations please

v1rt
11 years ago

Good morning folks,

2 years ago, I direct sowed zinnia seeds on the ground and 99% bloomed. My garden was very lovely. I forgot what variety I bought.

I would like to fill my garden again with so many flowers. I like zinnia flowers that are really beautiful though that's personal preference. I don't like a single plant with multicolored or random flower colors(such as white flower, pink flower, etc). Please recommend to me a really great performing zinnia flowering plant.

There is also another annual plant that I couldn't recall the name. I also direct sow it. The leaves are lime/chartreuse with Fuchsia pink flowers.

Comments (18)

• zen_man
    11 years ago

"I don't like a single plant with multicolored or random flower colors(such as white flower, pink flower, etc)."

Could you please clarify that statement?

ZM

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

v1rtu0s1ty, not sure if you want a multi-colored or single-color?

If you check out Hazzard's Seeds they have a large variety of Zinnia's with color pictured for each variety. Swallowtail also has a very large variety of Zinnia's with pictures! You might want to check them out.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a lot!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi zenman,

This is what I mean, I don't like a single plant where it blooms a flower with different colors.

{{gwi:5701}}

Below is what I like, single colored, all pink or whatever as long as it is not multicolored.

{{gwi:5702}}

• zen_man
    11 years ago

Hi v1rtu0s1ty,

So, you don't like mixtures of colors. Your pictures were helpful in explaining that. That does eliminate a lot of zinnia packages, but fortunately there are lots of selections of separate colors available. I use the term "separate" instead of "single", because "single" usually implies a zinnia with a single row of petals. "Separate" colors refers to zinnias with the same color in the packet. Fortunately, many companies like the one that Rose mentioned offer separate colors of zinnias. Johnny's Selected Seeds also offers a lot of separate colors in zinnias. You have to scroll down on that page to see all of the listings. Some are mixes, but many are separate colors. However, Hazzard's does have a much larger selection of zinnia offerings, and their quantity prices give lower costs per seed.

Incidentally, each zinnia plant can have several flowers, and they will all be the same color on that plant.

ZM
    (not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

This post was edited by zenman on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 16:18

• v1rt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a lot!!! :)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't wait to plan my garden again! I will really fill everything, hahaha :D

• v1rt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to ask. I've grown zinnia and it never failed me. Let's say I started direct sowing them. Storm came and some of the seed got lightly covered by mulch. Will they still germinate?

• zen_man
    11 years ago

If they were covered less than an inch deep there is a good chance they would still germinate. Especially if they were a zinnia variety that had fairly big seeds.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    11 years ago

Zenman, While your Dear and my Dear may love it how do you find deer on your flowers, specifically zinnia?

• zen_man
    11 years ago

We have a lot of deer in the rural area where we live, and so far none have done any damage to my garden, including my zinnias. I don't think that zinnias are particularly palatable to deer or rabbits, and there is plenty of wild plant life all around more to their liking. I have seen deer tracks in my garden on numerous occasions, but apparently they are just "passing through".

ZM

11 years ago

Ug I shouldn't be on forums on nights when the kids are at the grandparents and the wife and I sit on the deck with a few cold ones... :)

Zenman thanks for the reply. We have a lot of deer here but my dogs keep them outside my fence. This year I wanted to plant outside the fence and was curious, especially since I ordered an ounce of zinnia seeds LOL

• Edie
    11 years ago

This is a guess, but could your "chartreuse leaves with fuchsia pink flowers" plant be "Limelight" four o'clocks? (Mirabilis jalapa) You've posted about them before. I like them too. I've got two tubers I saved which are potted and leafing out indoors, and plan to sow seeds for more. I have had them nibbled and suspect it was deer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your post re: Limelight volunteers

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

I adore "Uproar Rose" zinnia

• zen_man
    11 years ago

Hi SouthCountryGuy,

"This year I wanted to plant outside the fence and was curious, especially since I ordered an ounce of zinnia seeds."

I wouldn't hesitate to plant a bunch of zinnias outside your fence. Zinnias are not deer resistant, like Daffodils and Prickly-Pear Cactus, but they are not one of the plants that deers love like Daylilies, Hosta, Pansies, Roses, and Tulips.

ZM

• v1rt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

edie_h, yes, it's 4 o'clocks. I found an old picture and I wrote the name on the pic :)

11 years ago

Zenman, that is great news. I think they will go well in a mass planting with papaver somniferum's.

• zen_man
    11 years ago

That should work. Papaver species are listed as deer-resistant.

ZM