Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desirai_gw

Cockscomb celosia?

Desirai
10 years ago

I acquired some seeds from cockscomb celosia .. I believe it looks amazing and nifty!

Do any of you have pictures of your own that you could share??

I'm anxious for mine to grow but so far no germination at all (it's been 7 days..)

Comments (11)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Celosia can take a couple of weeks in a bottom heated mix. I don't grow the Cockscomb (just don't like it), but have enjoyed the plume kind many times.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Last year I grew some of the plume - they were a free extra from a seed order. I liked them enough that I am growing them again, and am trying a couple of the cockscomb type as well. They didn't germinate as plentifully as the plume,(which were close to 100% from last year's seed) and I am afraid I don't remember how long they took. I just moved them into individual pots yesterday, so no pics yet.

• bouquet_kansas
    10 years ago

Desirai.........I have grown celosia for many years now.

I have grown the crested and the plume varieties in all sorts of colors. They can get up to 12 inches or more on
    the crested Red Velvet magenta colored ones.
    I have grown them in yellows, reds, gold, lt. pink, dark pink,
    oranges.
    I grow them from seed in either planter flats or even directly into the area that I want them to grow.
    They love the heat and the sun; which we have plenty here in Kansas.
    I do have photos of some of mine from previous years, but
    I have not learned how to put them into forums ,etc. yet.
    They do reseed readily, but......they are easy to hoe up if you don't want to grow them the following season.
    Give them a try.

Carol

• Desirai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have some germination!!! :) About an inch tall.. so cute! I can't wait!

• grandmamaloy
    10 years ago

Yay Desirai...it's easy from here on out! If these are germinating inside, be sure your bed is weed-free before you transplant and then keep it that way until they are very well established. If you are germinating them in the garden, it is even more important for a weed-free environment. Celosia does not like weed competition when it is small. If you are starting them in and moving them out, don't transplant until nighttime temperatures are consistently above 60F and daytime temps are above 75F and harden them off gradually. They don't do really well with stress either, but they are one of the more interesting plants to grow. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Celosia

• Desirai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are inside right now, growing in my window sill :)

10 years ago

Are the seeds sown in separate containers or are you going to have to transplant? If the former, don't wait too long to separate them.

I worry about the window sill placement. That's not usually best for plants that prefer the full sun. Perhaps you could take your plants outside during the day, introducing them slowly to the full sun over several days.

I've been wheeling my plants outside for weeks now and I'm in zone 7a. They stay outside at night, too, unless there's a chance of frost. Full sun, fresh air, and rainfall work magic on plants that have been germinated inside....even those that have had the benefit of good lighting.

Grandma 's temperature suggestion is much more cautious than is necessary. Cooler temperatures aren't any problem whatsoever.

• Desirai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have them in a 6 cell flat, I put 2 seeds in each cell. so far I have 1 sprout in 3 cells and 2 sprouts in 1 cell, the other 2 have no sprouts so I put new seed in yesterday

• Desirai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:5732}}

{{gwi:5733}}

10 years ago

As I suspected, your seedlings are a bit leggy from insufficient light. But aren't they cute? Are you going to reduce them to one seedling per cell?

• Desirai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

leggy you say? :( what does this mean for them?

Should I start over and put them in full direct sun?

What about if I put them underneath a desk lamp, will that help??