Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lvmygrdn1

Thoughts on Wasabi Coleus

lvmygrdn1
9 years ago

I read about it online and looking for a bright green coleus that can take sun, heat and humidity. I have grown coleus every summer but usually the red varieties. Thanks

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

a coleus.. is a coleus ... if you can do red.. green shouldnt be any different...

i am confused about wanting to grow them in sun ... as i consider them a shade plant ... and i never tried them in sun ... did you grow the reds in sun .. in z7???

ken

• lvmygrdn1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes afternoon sun morning shade. Not all coleus do well in sun but some do with adequate moisture. Last tear I planted Big Red Judy and it did very well. I wasn't clear in my original post. I can grow green coleus but was looking for how well the Wasabi did for those who have grown it. It's a little pricier here than the no name coleus. Is it worth the hype? Thank you!

• lvmygrdn1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See link for photo

Here is a link that might be useful: Wasabi Coleus

This post was edited by lvmygrdn1 on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 14:04

• lvmygrdn1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I apologize, I tried deleting the duplicate but it keeps asking me for my email.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wasabi Coleus

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I've heard that the darker the color, the better coleus tolerate sun. The dark colors also appear more colorful in more sun, apparently.

Martha

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

LOVE this coleus! I used it on my back patio, in two big containers that receive direct sun from sun up until sometime after two. I live in northern Alabama. Wasabi is a stunning sun coleus.....full, bright, and didn't fade for me last season.

I don't like yellow/green and red together, my opinion only, so I paired it last year with white calibrachoa and some 'fiber optic' grass. Will repeat the same this year.

Kenny, many of us love coleus and are thrilled that breeders have developed hundreds of sun tolerant cultivars that allow us to bring coleus out of the shadows. These are not the same as those you may be used to so read the information on the labels when buying.

Yes, there are red sun tolerant coleus.

• lvmygrdn1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The specialty garden center here has Wasabi coleus for $4.99 for one plant. I stopped at Lowes today and they have pots of 3 for $4.98. I picked up 3 pots. We still have cool nights so I will bring them in. I'm glad to hear Wasabi worked well for you Rhizo. I will be planting it near purple heuchera. Martha I had heard that too that lighter shades need shade. It's that way with heucheras here. Thats why I asked. I'm going to give it a go. I love GardenWeb. Thank you all. Ree

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

mine was from the green market and NOID, but it looks like wasabi. it took very hot NE sun on the balcony sun-up to 10am (sometimes heats up to 95 even very early) and did very nicely. but that's only 4-5 hours of sun.
    this pic is in aug last year.
    i like it with salmon-reds. and bronzes.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

here's a better close-up, but may be it's another look-alike, not wasabi? i loved the color.
    i'm planning to get it again.

• david883
    9 years ago

I bought coleus big blonde from the MSU plant sale this year. I usually buy coleus there because they tend to have some pretty different/interesting looking ones. I put them in a large planter in a shaded spot on my deck with some other shade loving annuals but when I got home to research Big Blonde I saw it was full to part sun. We'll see but its a bright green-yellow with thin purple veins. Link is below (though, not where I bought it from obviously)

Here is a link that might be useful: Coleus - Big Blonde

• lvmygrdn1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm happy to report my Wasabi coleus is doing well. We have had some hot weather and they didn't flinch in the afternoon sun. They get morning shade. I know it should be the other way around. Love the bright green color. It really pops.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

just saw wasabi planted in full sun and doing very well in longwood gardens, PA. looked just breathtaking bright!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Great picture, Petrushka! This really is a special coleus; those sharply serrated leaves really stand out.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

i don't know why it was called wasabi, but it def resembles shiso leaf that you get with your sushi ;).
    wasabi (japanese horseradish) is more vivid light-green, more like green-pea-soup green, not yellowish like that.