Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodils not flowering

Posted by smitty5952 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 13:03

I have a large section of yellow daffodils. Every year the green leaves come up but I only get 1 or two flowers. What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodils not flowering

This is sort of the wrong forum to ask that question, but if it is large bed of them, and they have been there quite awhile, I'd suggest them might need divided. The mature plants put off lots of bublets and they take a few years to reach blooming age, but will produce foliage only.

o

which forum do you suggest?

o

Have you added bulb food at any point to feed the crowded bulbs?

If the daffs have never bloomed or only bloomed the first year where they are planted even though the greenery grows well, the chances are they are not getting enough sun. Add some bulbtone (or similar product) this spring before the leaves yellow.

Or you can dig up a few of the bulbs and see if they are smaller than what was planted.

Are you leaving the leaves until they yellow or are you braiding them or cutting them off before they yellow? If so, that's your problem, the bulbs can't make enough food to bloom again.

o

The bulb forum may have been a better choice. But all of the advice given is valid.

o

Yet one more possibility would be that they were planted too deeply in the first place. You may find that a combination of these causal factors contribute to the daffodils' poor performance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here