planting Angelonia

v1rt
11 years ago

Will direct sowing work for this plant?

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• art33
    11 years ago

I grow Angelonia every year from seed (Serena of course). Just beautiful plants and very low maintenance. Although I've always started the plants indoors, under lights, I'm sure they could be started outside as well. The problem with starting outdoors, however, is that they take about three months from sowing until flowering.

If you decide to give it a try, make sure you don't cover the seeds, they need light to germinate. Fortunately, the seeds usually germinate rather quickly (less than a week). The plants like a slightly acidic (pH between 5.8 and 6.4), well drained soil.

Art

• v1rt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info! Priceless! :)

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    11 years ago

Where is a good pace to order seed? And, how do you collect it? I had some Angelonia last year, and I loved it!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Carolina, if you read Art's post, he indicates that it can take three months from sowing to flowering. Doesn't it make more sense to purchase a few plants this year and plan ahead for early next year? You should buy your seeds in February.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    11 years ago

Good point. It flowers for such a long time here, though, that I still wouldn't mind getting seed...or knowing where for next year. :)

• Donna
    11 years ago

I got seed this year from Parks on an early sale. There were only 10 seed per package...

I usually order all my annual flower seed from Hazzard's Greenhouse. Their seed is excellent, their selection second to none, prices great, and their germination directions, although short and sweet, never fail for me.

This was my second year starting angelonia from seed. I think it is just as easy to grow as zinnias, though it does not grow as quickly. Still, in 8 weeks my plants are very close to the size of the ones available at the garden centers.

Although you might have good luck direct sowing these seed, they are definitely more expensive than most annuals. I would personally not want to risk wasting the precious seed. I would start them indoors.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

The pelleted seed I bought last year from Hazzards though expensive, germinated 100% last year and the left over seed did as well this year. With the seed cost high I was very careful to account for every seed. Al

• archangelus2
    11 years ago

This is my first year to try Angelonias from seeds and so far I have not achieved germination after 11 days. Do you think I should order some more seeds and try again?

I placed the tiny seeds in a rather course potting mix and made sure they weren't covered up as the directions indicated. I have squirted them with a spray bottle several times to give them some moisture. We did have a cold front come through with overnight lows in the 40s and 50s, would that just delay germination or prevent it all together?

Trying to pinpoint where I went wrong and if I can recover or just need to start over.

• art33
    11 years ago

archangelus2,

Since you mentioned the overnight low temperatures, I assume you have the seeds outside. I've always germinated the seeds indoors, on a heat mat, and they usually sprout in less than a week (this year it took 5 days). I don't know what's normal for outside germination. Are they in a container of some sort or directly seeded into the garden area?

Art

This post was edited by art33 on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 23:50

• archangelus2
    11 years ago

Yes the I planted the seeds outside in the plastic trays that they sell plants in.

• art33
    11 years ago

archangelus2,

Well, I can see a couple of things that might be giving you a problem. First, as you've mentioned, the seeds are tiny. When you sow tiny seeds in a 'rather course potting mix', it's easy for those seeds to gradually get worked down deeper into that mix. Every time you use your spray bottle, you could easily cause the seeds to go deeper. As you know the seeds should be on the surface, not covered with the potting mix. They may be too deep to germinate now; not necessarily, but certainly a possibility. Also, if the seeds are too deep, too wet, and too cold, rotting is possible.

Regarding your question about the outside temperatures, assuming the seeds are still viable, I don't think the cooler temperatures would prevent germination, just delay it.

I wish you luck with those seeds! If they haven't been buried too deeply, they still might germinate for you. I hope so, Angelonias are such beautiful and carefree plants!

Art

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    11 years ago

Thx, Donna!

• gumneck 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

I love angelonia too. I buy nursery plants usually. I saved some seeds two years ago and last year winter sowed some. (see the winter sowing forum.) To my surprise, some came up. I saved a lot of seed but only got a few plants that way. Here is a winter sowing container with angelonia that I ignored/never planted out. In my experience they didn't do much of any growing until the weather was consistently hot. One thing I now know I did wrong was cover the seeds. I direct sowed some saved angelonia seed a week ago. I am not expecting much so will be happy if anything comes up.

• gumneck 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

Just thought I would add....I was in a hardware store/garden center this weekend in Virginia and found angelonia in one of those little six-packs with plug-sized plants. One six-pack was 1.99. Not bad, All the other angelonia I have seen at nurseries was 4.95 for a single bigger plant.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

Awesome! Where in VA?!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I would be happy to find Angelonia in sixpacs here. I have never found them in any nursery. I grow them from seed that costs as much as plants from sixpacs. Al

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

Rats! One of the few times I would like to still be in that area. :) Thx!