Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will flowering cabbage / kale come back next year?????

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 13, 06 at 16:39

Hi if you cut down flower stalks (i.e. don't let go to flower/seed) on flowering cabbage/kale will it return???? Thanks. I have some cabbage/kale left over from winter that looks like it is about to send up a flower stalk. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will flowering cabbage / kale come back next year?????

Yes you could get another year out of them. Al

o

Thanks. :)

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 20, 06 at 17:24

I don't think that's likely in zone 6! Kale is an annual. An annual is a plant that completes it's life cycle in one season...like marigolds, lettuce, tomatoes.
There there are the biennials ( and I suspect Kale is in this category although it's called an annual) like parsley. It produces leaves and survives a winter, puts up a flower stalk the next spring and dies.....even if you cut off the flower stalk.
I would see what it does....but if you want some kale this fall, plant new.
Linda C

o

They are actually quite nice as early season flowering plants. The flowers make them quite tall, and pair well with bulbs and lower plants e.g. pansies. I did a double take the first time I saw them, and it took awhile to figure out what they were!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here