Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poppies petals are falling off at first wind :(

Posted by PolluxJac WA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 16:52

Hello-- I have these beautiful poppy plants, and they are blooming wonderfully. I just transplanted them (they were store bought), which might be the problem, but they are growing and blooming just fine. The problem is, the petals are so delicate that anytime there's a little bit of wind, they fall off! Does anyone know why? They all look so sad this way...

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poppies petals are falling off at first wind :(

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 18:42

Poppy blooms are typically ephemeral, ie...this is normal.

o

Yeahp, they are very short lived. I often don't see blooms that open when at work. Only way I like them, and I have piles, is multiple sow dates and en masse.

SCG

o

and transplant shock ...

BTW.. which poppy are you talking about.. perennial or annual ...

ken

o

Mmmm, would agree that this is almost certainly down to transplant shock. Yes, they are ephemeral and can be stripped by howling winds.....but as a rule, despite their fragile papery appearance, well grown (ie. direct sown or self seeded) poppies of most varieties (and there are many, many types) are tougher than might first appear. Don't fret, they should come round and later blooms should be a bit more robust.
Not cavilling here, but Latin names are useful........

o

Hey guys, thanks :) Yeah, I kind of thought it would be transplant shock. Just moved so I purchased them from a nursery, that's why I don't really know the latin name or anything... I do know they're annuals though. I moved them in the same dirt I bought them in into bigger pots with more dirt, they weren't very rooty but the dirt is different than what they're used to. This is a picture of the flower three days ago when it opened (if you guys are curious as to what kind of poppy it is, I also have a smaller hot pink flower now on the same plant), later that afternoon it lost two petals and looked sad already. Oh well, guess I'll have to try from scratch ;)

o

What you have there is Papaver nudicaule aka Iceland Poppy. It's a short lived perennial usually grown as an annual. So that's the name to Google for further cultural information.

o

Thanks guys :)

o

I grew Iceland Poppies one year... LOVED THEM! They were beautiful little delicate workhorses that bloomed in a full sun container (with, if I remember correctly, dwarf cleome, trailing verbenas maybe, spikey grass and a few other things... seems I don't remember). Anyway, once the we got into the throws of summer heat they went dormant as they usually do. As floral_uk said, they're short lived and, well, mine never returned (transplanted them to the ground in early fall where they did put up a few little leaves before winter came). At any rate they were beautiful - best of luck PolluxJac!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here