Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmsc_gw

New for 2010!

mmsc
14 years ago

I know that 2009 growing season hasn't even started for many of you, but I'm lucky enough to live in a frost free climate and every time I have enough room, I start new seeds (even if I don't have space for the new plants! lol).

So I was checking trials websites and it seems there will be lots of new introductions for 2010.

Coleus Chocolate Splash

Gaillardia Mesa Yellow

2010 All-America Selections winner, 2010 Fleuroselect Gold Medal Winner. First year flowering.

Gomphrena Fireworks

Tall gomphrena (36" - 48")

Petunia Easy Wave Burgundy Star

The first trailing petunia from seed with the star pattern

Petunia Easy Wave Plum Vein

The first trailing petunia from seed with veins and dark throat. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Petunia Easy Wave Violet

Just a different purple hue that wasn't available on wave petunias, I guess.

Petunia Shock Wave Denim

New color to the shock wave series (smaller blooms). I'm pretty sure this color is not accurate and the flowers will probably be light purple. It's a pretty addition anyway.

Zinnia Zahara Fire

Looks like Profusion Fire.

Zinnia Zahara Rose Starlight

Really like this one. All-American Selections 2010.

Vinca Cora Cascade

Like the original Cora vinca (it has resistance to aerial Phytophthora) but trailing. They look a lot like Nirvana Cascade vincas. Excellent choice for places with hot summers where trailing petunias tend to die. Garden Width: 32 to 36 inches.

Cora Cascades are available in Cherry, Lilac, Magenta, Peach Blush and Polka Dot.

{{gwi:7031}}

{{gwi:7032}}

{{gwi:7033}}

Ornamental Millet Jade Princess

You can find a lot more in here:

http://www.panamseed.com/NewPanAmericanVarieties.aspx

http://www.goldsmithseeds.com/SpringTrials/New.html

http://www.greenhousegrower.com/varietycentral/?storyid=1844&style=1

http://www.greenhousegrower.com/varietycentral/?storyid=1997

Comments (16)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for the eye candy, I'll be looking for some of these :)

Terry

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    14 years ago

Those are some beauties. I really like the Zinnia Zahara Rose Starlight.
    Thanks for the info!

Kat

• zen_man
    14 years ago

Zinnia Zahara Rose Starlight looks like a must-grow for me 2010. I am itching to cross it with something.

ZM

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    14 years ago

Great pictures, I like your Cora vinca!

I just bought new disease-resistant Cora vinca at my local Walmart in central Louisiana, $2.98 for 6 inch pot with 3 plants, though 1 dead in each pot. From www.goldsmithseeds.com according to the label. Only magenta was available, other colors may have been sold out. I had found the new Cora and Nirvana series available on internet for much more money, so I was delighted to get these cheap locally and wanted to share about it!

Texas A&M info on Nirvana and Cora vinca:
    http://flowers.tamu.edu/Overton%20Field%20Day%202008%20PRelease.pdf

Mississippi State University info on Cora vinca:
    http://msucares.com/news/print/sgnews/sg08/sg080228.html

• calliope
    14 years ago

You don't need to wait until 2010 for these. Those seeds were available to growers this year, at least through my broker. I am growing Zahara this year, and almost did the shock wave denims. I love the Shock waves, btw, they did well for me last year, and really did well this year.

• mmsc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, right now they're all available and I'm already growing petunia easy wave plum vein and burgundy star, shock wave denim, vinca cora cascade cherry and lilac and zinnia rose starlight. I'm also growing all the colors in the opera supreme series (previously only pink morn and lilac ice were available).

I agree that the shock waves are great, and so are the opera supremes. Purple looks very promising and is growing faster than everything else.

• Carole Westgaard
    14 years ago

I just planted several coleus 'Chocolate Splash' today. Got from Pasquesi Garden Center in Barrington, Illinois. They were in a quart container and approx 8 inches and very full. GORGEOUS!

Westy

• calliope
    14 years ago

I trialed the Zahara zinna series this spring. Thumbs up! They are gorgeous.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

Those Phytopathora resistant Periwinkles really interest me. It is a major problem here, and once in your soil it lasts forever making any plant susceptible to it a goner shortly after planting. I haven't seen Periwinkles with specific name of Cora at the stores yet, but hopefully in the future.

• lovesphlowers
    13 years ago

My package of Zahara Starlight Rose seeds produced flowers that look nothing like the pictures. When they first started blooming there was a very faint rose ring on some of the flowers but now the flowers are uniformly cream colored! I was very disappointed to say the least!

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Zahara Starlight rose produced nearly all cream colored blooms this summer however a few which were grown earlier in the last winter season (same packet) bloomed very similar to the pictures in catalog... so it might have something to do with temperature and day length...

Izhar

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

The ad copy for Starlight Rose indicated that heat stress would cause the plant to produce all white blooms. Maybe when we get below 90 degrees here for a week or so they will improve.
    I wonder how much heat is too much for them? If temps over 80 are too high then this variety will have a very short window to produce the desired effect, at least for many.

• franeli
    13 years ago

I'm growing Zahara 'Starlight Rose' and they started to produce nice, colorful striping when temperatures stayed below 90F.

{{gwi:7036}}

• lovesphlowers
    13 years ago

That must be the problem with my Zahara Starlight zinnias. The temperatures here are setting records with several triple digit days. Maybe this fall I will see blooms like the picture above. I wish I had known about this characteristic because we generally have hot summers here.

• lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
    13 years ago

My Zinnia Zahara Starlights were also mostly a cream color. Not much pink in most of them. Not very attractive at all or what I expected. I did have them in a pot with morning sun until about noon. Then I had some in the ground that got afternoon sun from about noon until 4:00. Our weather is mostly in the 80s, sometimes reaching 90 degrees. I water my pots every day, and every other day or so for the ground if it doesn't rain. If it's in the 90s, I water the ground every day. I use Miracle-Gro potting soil mixed with some Miracle-Gro potting mix in my pots and plain old dirt in the ground. :) Neither were any different with their blooms. Not sure what I can do differently this summer except maybe try another spot and use manure or something in the ground where they're at. :)

Franeli - how did you get them to be so nice!? Yours are beautiful. My weather is always in the 80s, except maybe a week or so here and there throughout the summer. I'm in Zone 5 (PA). I'll keep trying, I guess. I just would like to know what I should do differently. Did yours get sun from morning until evening? Maybe that's where my fault lies.

This is the best one I got. :) The rest were creamy in color with very little to no pink in them. (Sorry for the huge picture. Don't know how to resize it.)

{{gwi:1647}}

How did everyone else plants theirs? Did you use fertilizer, full sun all day, what are your average temps, etc.? I'm determined to have some pretty ones this summer!

Thanks,
    Alicia

Here is a link that might be useful: My flower pics

• franeli
    13 years ago

lady alicia,

I quickly looked at your flower album and see a fair amount of blooming flowers. Not sure what cultivar the cleomes are but they seem very stunted.
    You might look at your soil and add lots of compost. I plant in compost amended with some soy bean meal(or alfalfa) and a little kelp. I feed annuals in the ground more compost every 4 weeks or so and make sure they get watered.
    Zinnias need full sun,adequate moisture and nutrition. Mine get 10hours around the summer solstice and toward fall,about 5-7.