Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryllmartel

Flower Identification

cheryllmartel
10 years ago

I am crazy to know the name of this flower - it grew outside the hotel we stayed in, in London Ontario when my dad was getting heart surgery and I really want to plant some in my garden.

Comments (17)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i cant believe... how confusing these straight down pix are ... you arent the first ... its hard to get a scale... and often they are taken w/o bending over so they lack clarity ... and any sense of scale ...

anyway ... thats for next time..

compare with verbena ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: i think i got lucky

• vera_eastern_wa
    10 years ago

I think it might be Sweet William....Dianthus barbatus

Try that in a google search

Vera

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Lantana camara.

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

I agree with Ken--verbena.

Lantana camera would not be grown in London Ontario--It's too cool for them and not a common plant in Canada. I don't think I have ever seen the plant in Canada.

Sweet William has blossoms ringed in a different color --usually white not 2 toned like some of the flower heads in your photo.

10 years ago

Still going with Lantana. It's not a very good image to work with but I'm pretty sure that I see the unique clusters left after blooming, as well as a few seed heads.

That pink and yellow variety is very common....Lantana camara 'Confetti '.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

It's Lantana camara imo - it is grown under galss and put out as a seasonal bedding plant in cooler climates. It is in the same family as Verbena, hence the similarity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Someone in Ontario is selling it.

• LynnthePB
    10 years ago

I agree Floral_uk..... I was on some floral pages... it does have similarities to Verbena but is different for sure.. Thank you

10 years ago

Lantana grows everywhere. Most people treat it as an annual; it's purchased as small plants every year and planted into a sunny location. It makes a great bedding plant.....it's inexpensive, fast growing, blooms its head off.

Even in warmer climates, it is treated as a disposable annual.

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

often Lantana sold at the nursery are dwarfed by hormones or something, so you start with a tiny compact plant which suddenly puts out long shoots at he end of summer.

I managed to overwinter 3 on my window sill and will use them as trailing plants (or flowering mini-blackberries) in window boxes

• lam702
    10 years ago

Looks like lantana to me.

• sara82lee
    10 years ago

I vote lantana as well. Very easy to root from cuttings. Grows quickly as well.

10 years ago

AND will grow anywhere.....even in Canada! :-) As long as there's plenty of sunlight over the growing season (no matter how short the season might be), lantana cultivars will be seen flourishing in beds, baskets, and front porch plantings.

Ken, I totally agree that some of these cell phone pictures are terrible for identification purposes! There's no way to tell the size; I get really frustrated with some of the insect images as well as leaves, etc.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

If I can get and grow Lantana in NW Wisconsin, I can't imagine it not being fine in Ontario. I grow it in pots, and overwinter it inside. It gets woodier/ more shrub like as it gets older. In Cairo, Egypt it was growing as 4ft hedges - beautiful. Mine in large pots have never gotten over about 2.5 feet.

• cheryllmartel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all your helpful information! I have realized that it is Lantana - and it does grow very nicely in Southern Ontario. In warmer climates it can be a perennial but here as annuals and that's fine, because they bloom practically all summer and into the fall. I do appreciate all your helpful advice! Thanks!

• metasequoiafree
    10 years ago

and are one of the best fragrances in the world. kinda like honeyed grapefruit!!! here in southeast michigan my garden doesn't miss a summer without them. purple lantana 'lucious grape' in your containers is beautiful. i put them in pots and place them on tables close to where i like to sit on the patio. i get great pleasure in the fragrance while sipping something nice!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Coming in late here-it's Lantana.

Linda

• sara82lee
    10 years ago

metasequoiafree, the first lantana I ever bought was from a kmart store because my stepdaughter said it smelled like candy. She and you must have similar noses :)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH