Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coatfetish_gw

Please suggest an annual climber for an arbor...

coatfetish
11 years ago

Hi ~

I'm starting to make a new veggie garden bed, and at one end will be a metal arbor/arch I bought last year but never set up. Sorry I don't know how tall it is, but I'm guessing 9 or 10 feet. It's 7 feet wide (not that that matters for the climber - lol) and has a front-to-back depth of about a foot. I don't want a perennial like clematis, I was hoping to find an annual that won't over power it and that I can remove each fall as part of my fall clean-up. I have wild honeysuckle in the back yard that wants to take over the world! So sweet smelling, but such a nuisance - so I don't want trumpet flower, honeysuckle, etc, hence the hunt for an annual.

What do you think of morning glory? I've never tried to grow it, and none of my friends have either so I've never actually seen one. Would one on each side get tall enough to reach the top of the arch?

Any thoughts and ideas would be welcomed!

Comments (12)

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

Morning glory would work very well. In many regions certain varieties can be aggressive and have even been banned. Other options are Hyacinth Bean, Sweet Peas, Scarlet Runner Beans, and I can't think of any more right now. Good luck.

Martha

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Since it's a vegetable garden something edible would fit nicely. Runner beans, some other pole bean, cucumbers? Maybe Thunbergia alata or Cobaea scandens if edible is not required.

• mandolls
    11 years ago

I have a cattle panel arch as an entrance to my veg garden. Last year I had cucumbers on it, plus two morning glories. I ended up having to cut back the morning glories pretty aggressively in late summer, as they were strangling the cukes. This year I am planning on putting in grapes.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Nasturtiums 'Tall Climbing Mix' from Pinetree Seeds. All the nasturtiums here were planted on the left side, were trained up and over to about 2 feet from the bottom of the other side before I trained them back up again. Now, that was a particularly good year, but even in bad years they grow up one side and a foot or two down the other side.

{{gwi:7111}}

tj

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a gorgeous garden photo! I'm also trying dahlias for the first time this year and you have inspired me - your entrance is very beautiful.

I never heard off climbing nasturtiums before, and I love nasturtiums. I've ordered some morning glory seeds from an online auction, but I am also going to get the climbing nasturtiums for another arch - so beautiful, thanks for the idea!

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Hi coatfetish - notice that tsugajunkie said the nasturtiums were trained to go over the arch. Thy are not really climbers, more scramblers, and they may need some guidance and a bit of tying in. The foliage can weigh a ton, especially when wet and the whole lot can blow off if not given a bit of help.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Glad you liked it coatfetish. Flora is right. Although they are named "climbing", I weave the nasturtiums in and out of the lattice and tie them loosely at the top of the arch before training them down the other side.

The flowers are a favorite treat for my wife and I as well as for hummingbirds and hummingbird moths.

tj

• amanda_m
    11 years ago

Last year we ran Black Eyed Susie Vine and and some plant with bright red trumpet shaped flowers up a large trellisy thing.

They filled in beautifully.

At the end of the year we just pulled them out and put them in the brush pile. This year we are putting pole beans in the same place.

• gamountains
    11 years ago

climbing nasturtiums

I've picked up some "milkmaid" climbing nasturtium the past two years. Sold at Lowes. They never have done well in sun. More so in cooler and shadier areas.

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the info, I found some trailing nasturtiums on an action site, but they are so expensive for 5 or so seeds. Haven't found any trailing nasturtium in the stores yet, but I will keep looking. I still love how it looks in your garden, tsugajunkie, so I'll cough up the dough next year if I have to - lol.
    Thanks everyone!

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Something's wrong if you are being quoted high prices for trailing Nasturtiums. Are you looking for a particular colour or variety? They're around 3 dollars for 35 mixed colour seeds here in the local DIY place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnnies Nasturtiums

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Pintree Seeds has 30 seeds for $1.35.

#66202 TALL CLIMBING SINGLE MIX NASTURTIUM

At the link.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Climbing Nasturtiums