Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asthma_gw

blue daze

asthma
16 years ago

I just got two Blue Daze and was wondering if anyone knows anthing about them? I know they are annuals and close up in the evening like four-0'clocks but that is about it.. Any info would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

• rivers1202
    16 years ago

Are you planning on keeping them in containers or will you plant them in the landscape?
    Some people have had success growing them in planters but I have a very black thumb when it comes to growing anything in a pot, so I can't help you there.

I've grown blue daze for 2 years in a row -- last year and the year before and will get more this year. However, I've always planted mine in the garden. They get very big and bushy in the right conditions -- so just a heads up on that.

I've always watered mine either early in the morning or late in the day, around the BASE of the plant...not overhead, which seems to make the rather soft stems go floppy. They'll eventually spring back up after watering that way, but seem to do better with just soaking the soil around the base. In my experience, they appreciate consistently moist soil, but not "soggy" soil or wet feet...you need to have good drainage.

Mine have reached approximately 2ft x 2ft in size, so make sure you have the space for them if you plant them in the landscape.

I fertilize with a water-soluable fertilizer for blooming plants every 2-3 weeks, at half strength, and have gorgeous blooming plants all summer long...in fact, they bloom their heads off til frost gets them.

As far as sun exposure goes..well, it gets hot as Hades here in the summer, but the blue daze seems to handle it well. I plant mine in an area that gets roughly 4-6 hours of sun each day. My mother had hers planted in a cement driveway planter last year, that got supplemental watering via a soaker hose under a layer of mulch, and received full hot sun nearly all day, from morning until late afternoon...they did great.

It looks especially nice growing alongside orange-flowered plants. I have them growing with my lantana every year, and the combination is lovely.

Mulch it well, but make sure not to pile mulch onto the crown. Another interesting thing is that if you have it planted in the landscape, it will root along the stems, where they make contact with the ground. It's easy to make new plants from those rooted pieces, which you can move to other areas of the garden.

I'm including a couple of pics. of my blue daze from the 1st year I grew them, growing along with lantana 'mozelle', I think is the name. It's an older non-sterile form of lantana...self-sows like crazy. It also gets enormous...another space muncher in the garden. It's so pretty every year, though, that I can't bring myself to dig it up and toss it. *sigh*

'Blue daze' is a beautiful plant and is pretty much carefree in my neck of the woods.
    Good luck and enjoy!

RENEE

{{gwi:7303}}

{{gwi:7304}}

• joannepr1
    11 years ago

I bought a pot of them at local Home Depot-
    I have it in apot outside in sun
    It is doing very well-willbuy more the next time I see them

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

what in blue blazes is a blue daze ...

if you what precise information about a precise plant.. you need to find a latin name so we can insure that we are all discussing the same plant .... usually its somewhere on the tag .. and if not.. you should google until you find it ....

your pix didnt show for me ...

good luck!!!!

ken

• bluedesertflower
    9 years ago

This is a evolvulus n. Plant blue daze is the specific cultivar.

• bluedesertflower
    9 years ago

It seems to love the sun even in az

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    For me thay are not only perrenial but everblooming. heaviest during winter . I grow them in high shade and they sure appreciate water lol
    Recently found some double flowering as well as whites and two toned blue but didn't buy . Nice all around plant though mine get over run with weeds and are very tough to remove You could probably overwinter some in the house ?? gary

• roxanna
    9 years ago

i adore this plant, and have always treated it as a annual that i will lose once frost hits. BUT last fall i just couldn't let it go, and transplanted three into a large pot (18") which i then brought inside and put under grow lights. it remained happy all winter. i set it out on the deck in May, and now it is huge and gorgeous!!

just as an experiment (again), i plan to lug it inside this year as well, to see if it will survive for another year. for me, well worth the effort, as local nurseries do not always offer this lovely plant.