Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
petunias, minimum temperature?????

Posted by kwyet1 z6 CT (kwyet1@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 21:20

....I now have a TON of petunia seedlings. What would be the lowest temperature I could subject these seedlings to??
Thanks,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: petunias, minimum temperature?????

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 21:50

Indoors or out?

Outdoors - they'll be dead. Even if the cold temps don't get them, or the cold and damp soil rot them out, the frost will toast them....we have a ways to go before the major danger of frost is past. You could put them in a cold frame, I think - though I'm not too familiar with that, as I've never had one, so can't really advise regarding that.

Indoors - normal room temp is fine.

o

In warmer parts of the country, petunias are often sold as cold tolerant annuals ( I know...they're tender perennials.). I've seen them withstand temperatures in the low thirties and colder. Open blooms are frost sensitive.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 14:54

I winter sowed mine in March. They are now up. We did get some below freezing nights after they germinated and they were touched by the frost but they are still doing well. Marg

o
thanks Marg...

Marg....
That is the answer I was looking for! LOL I need to move mine out to my unheated hoop house...they need to be separated and there is no more room in my house! :-)
Looks like I'm a zone warmer than you...so hopefully they will be ok. (our nights are in the mid 30's right now).
Thanks again,
Linda

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 11, 09 at 18:20

Linda: When I winter sow I put the pots into flats. Both the domes and flats have holes for drainage and air circulation. This time I used 4-cell seeding pack and put that in the trays. The domes help insulate them. It's an easy way to do it. This is my first time trying it and it seems to have worked so well, I will always do it this way from now on. By the way, there are gardeners in colder zones than me and they also do it. Good luck! Marg

o

Marge,
I live in West Michigan and put petunias in flats outside under frost cloth and sprinklers the 2nd week of April. The sprinklers are low volume(1/4gpm) and are connected to a simple 24V thermostat/ irrigation valve that turns them on at 34 degrees. They form a protective ice layer over the covered plants. The water gives off a couple degrees of heat as it freezes. Sprinklers stay on until temp goes above 36 degrees and the ice coating is crumbly. I have run sprinklers for a week straight with temps as low as 25 degrees with no problems.
Be aware that poly cold frames offer little protection from freezing inside. Commercial houses have 2 layers of plastic film that has a small blower inflating air between them; creating an insulating effect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here