Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

need help on balsamina imp grown indoor

v1rt
13 years ago

The leaves are burnt. I don't think the flourescent light is giving heat which causes the burn. The balsamina gets light from the flourescent for 14 hours straight. It also gets sunlight from 12-2pm. The distance of leaves to the flourescent light is 4 inches.

What is causing the leaves to burn?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

{{gwi:7647}}

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

lack of ambient humidity????

is it in the forced air furnace room???

didnt i suggest that germination would be the least of your problems????

on your next road trip.. walk into a greenhouse.. take a deep breath.. choke it down if you can.. due to all the humidity hanging in the air ...

try the same in your plant room ...

ken

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi Ken,

Sorry, been so busy with work and home. I was thinking, Balsaminas doesn't like sun. I'll have to move it out from the window.

I'll try your suggestion. :)

Thanks!

13 years ago

hmmmmm ....

i suggest humidity.. and you ignore it and move it from sunshine ...

well you go for it .. lol ... just yanking your chain ... anyway ....

sunshine thru a modern window is probably light shade ... at best.. low e.. and double pain.. and all that ... argon ...

now .. think about heat from the sun .. and you might be onto something ...

how did you suspend a light on the window sill???

interesting to note.. the seed leaves.. the term escapes me ... are fine .. but the first true leaves are damaged.. what changed???? and therein may lay your answer ... is that when you decided to move them to the sill???

raising seeds to perfection is a Sudoku squared.. times three.. a grand puzzle ...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I usually think of something in the soil when I see tip burning like that. Excessive fertilizer salts build-up, too much or too little water, that kind of thing. Maybe you should try watering with bottled water for awhile. Chlorine and fluorides can cause problems with some plants.

ken....cotyledon....

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

watering is just ok. However, I'm using tap water. I'll try bottled water.

>> how did you suspend a light on the window sill???

I made a shelf and that's where I placed the lights. Please see link for my setup.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor Growing

13 years ago

thats a prime set up Niel ...

but there ae screens on the window.. we probably call that shade cloth .. lol .. its not a sun issue ...

most problems in tap water.. will disappear/dissipate .. just by letting it stand ... i used to have about 5 one gal milk jugs which i used tap water from [and 1/4 teaspoon of water sol fert] ... let them stand a day or two.. and its best to use room temp water anyway ... have you ever had you water tested?????

i would not spend money on water ...

thx rhiz .... all i could bring to mind was platycondon.. lol ... and it didnt think the balloon flower had anything to do with the seed wing.. lol ..

ken

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

something is going on on top of the potting mix I used. I see white powder on top. What could it be? Salt from our tap water?

I haven't had a water test yet. Ok, I will let it stand for 24 hours so the chlorine goes away. I can smell it when I take a shower. Thanks for the tip about the water. I did it before using bubbling when I was making an aerated compost tea. :)