Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coleus - what's been eating my leaves?

Posted by stillwelljill 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 4, 09 at 0:02

I just bought and planted out a beautiful King Coleus with wonderful color and huge leaves. Today I go out and almost all the leaves on the plant have large holes eaten out of them. I looked over the plant and leaves and soil around the plant and saw nothing. Is anyone else having this problem? I hate to lose the beauty of this plant to some creature's appetite!! This is planted in a raised bed in a small fenced area so it is not deer or rabbit...........perhaps some worm or bug??? Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coleus - what's been eating my leaves?

• Posted by mcbdz 8 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Mon, May 4, 09 at 10:05

snails and slugs
Pattie

o

stillwell,

The same thing is happening to mine. I am headed to Lowe's right now to get slug bait and that works for me.

Betty

o

Ditto on the slugs. It's a constant battle in all but one raised garden without much mulch and full sun. They've started on other plants already and pretty sure they'll hit the Coleus once I get them in the ground.

If it's not one critter it's another!

I just chased a groundhog out of the garage. I can't stand it sometimes. He left his 2 buddies home for this trip.

Slug bait, diomataceous earth...anything to kill them.

Slug bait doesn't disappear in the rain like diomataceous earth.

o

If I may; use the environmentally friendly slug and snail bait with 1% iron phosphate as the active ingredient. There are several manufacturers of this product now, but 'Sluggo' was one of the originals. (Just read the label on the front of the package for the active ingredient.)

The other snail and slug baits are highly toxic to you, your pests, birds, and other non-target organisms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here