Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African Daisy (osteospermum) - do they reseed?

Posted by sarge724 z7 VA (My Page) on
Mon, May 1, 06 at 8:19

Can anyone tell me whether or not African Daisies (osteospermum) usually self-sow in zone 7? I know they're annuals, and I let some go to seed last year, just in case. I just wondered if I should keep a lookout for volunteers coming up.

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African Daisy (osteospermum) - do they reseed?

i have a backyard full of african daisies..so my answer is yes..

o

• Posted by lkaa z7 NOVA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 1, 06 at 14:52

I'm gonna diasgree on that one, mostly because of our winters and the wet clay soil. But this winter was dry and warm, so there may be a chance. I have never had them reseed in my garden.

o

There are other flowers called African Daisys besides osteospermum.
I have never known the osteospermum to reseed....but it must...or where do little plants come from??
Linda C

o

your basic freeway daisy, which is osteospermum, will expand by sending out runners above the ground which will root. in fact if you see a runner with roots just cut behind the roots on the stem and plant.

reseeding is too slow for this plant...it likes to cover ground.

o

Annual African daisies self sow to the point of being invasive in Mediteranean climates (like California), but I doubt it would be an issue in Virginia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here