Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reseeding annuals zone 5 ny

Posted by faerybum z5 NY (My Page) on
Thu, May 18, 06 at 9:15

hi! im wondering if anyone can tell me what annuals reseed themselves in my zone. i have balsam which reseeds itself every year and calendula and dianthus, but what else can i plant that might come back? thanks!
ustya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reseeding annuals zone 5 ny

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 18, 06 at 10:27

Feverfew, violas, larkspur, snaps, marigolds, portulaca, sweet alyssum all will reseed for me....
Just remember to leave on some seed pods.
Linda C

o

I'm in Kansas, but marigolds, Bells of Ireland, balsam, corn poppies, baby's breath, and rose moss are reliable reseeders for me. Zinnias will occassionally reseed.

o

How bout celosia....cockscombs.....plume or crested varieties.....they reseed like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

o

thanks guys!!!

o

Also nigella, cosmos, sunflowers, and morning glories.

Tracy

o

Cleome,
Bachelor's Buttons,
Alyssum,
Melampodium

o

Sulphur cosmos, Datura (angels trumpet), morning glories, nasturtiums, and cleome

o

California poppies, nicotianas,sometimes cleomes in Z4

o

Many of the annuals listed above never reseed in my NY zone5 garden. I think it depends on where you live in zone 5. It also depends on the weather and winter. Keep trying different varieties.

I get nigella, feverfew, cleome, nicotiana, rudbeckia, dill, sweet william, silene, johnny jump-ups (viola), morning glory, tall ageratum.

o

Dredging up an old thread for fun...
Susan has a valid point. While I'm 'close' to Z6, I have never had a marigold nor a morning glory reseed in my yard, but have had several of those already listed come back without fail.

While not an annual, Lunaria does just fine on its own in my yard. Glad I found out it was 'bi' this year- I almost hoed out all the new seedlings around it this year! Saved them, and hopefully will have a show forever-more now that I'm more edumacated ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here