teengardener1888

Reeseeding or Perrenial

teengardener1888
10 years ago

I was wondering if forget me nots are perrenial or resseding

Comments (13)

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Reseeding, if the forget-me-nots in question are Myosotis species.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

What kind of forget me nots do you have?

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it is a myosotis specise

10 years ago

Those are hardy perennials, but not known for living many years per individual plant. Ones I started from spring, then moved, are back this year. And a few seedlings, not a ton, a nice amount that I like but I did do some deadheading once in a while, not very dedicated about it for this plant. Might have been more seedlings without that.

Forgot to add, if memory serves, they behaved similarly in OH (5b.)

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Wed, May 15, 13 at 16:44

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

in z5 MI they are a true biennial....

ken

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought so. They are so lovely

10 years ago

I agree! Took this pic. Sunday. They're cute with Oxalis at the moment.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

I grew them from seed here in WI and they multiplied and returned for about 4 years. My assumption was that they were a short lived perennial. I need to start dome more, they are sweet.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are one of the 8 wonders of the wolrld

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

There are 2 kinds of forget-me-nots. Perennial and annual. The perennials are shorter(about 8 inches) and have a smaller blossom and bloom in early summer. The annual are taller(12 to 14 inches) but they peter out when the hot weather hits. They are prolific seeders and once planted you can be sure they will be back as long as the mulch is removed so they can touch the ground.

As a side note--you'll know if they are forget-me-not seeds if they are stuck to your gardening gloves when you pull the plants. The plants way of spreading it's seeds is to give them little burrs.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mines is probally the annual. I believe mines could be possibly a perrenial

10 years ago

Myosotis sylvatica is the one usually sold in seed packs, which is reported as a perennial some places, as a biennial on other sources. But there are many more than 2 Myosotis, some definitely annuals. Probably where lot of the the confusion comes from, and the fact that it's not always possible to look at a patch and know if individuals are starting their 2nd or 3rd year. If a biennial plant is prevented from setting seed, it may come back.

There's also Bunnera macrophylla, if anyone's interested, though definitely not an annual.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds like there is conflicting information in different sources. Whatever they are i love them